Key strokes for Undo/Redo do not seem to work on OSX 10.9.5

kidaxel

2014-10-04 00:24:59

Hi everyone,

I just stumbled upon a somewhat strange key stroke issue. I want to translate a MIDI CC command into a Command(Z) key stroke to quickly trigger Undos from my MIDI controller. Now, here comes the strange thing:

I can translate any incoming MIDI message into key strokes like Command(R) for example, but i CANNOT translate to Command(Z) in order to execute an Undo command. The outgoing key stroke action Command(Z) simply does not trigger any Undo command (no matter what application I am using).

I’m on OSX 10.9.5 and mabye this is some sort of security mechanism (I’ve already allowed MT to control my computer in the privacy settings, but this did not solve my problem).

Thanks a lot in advance for any hints on that issue!

Cheers, Axel

florian

2014-10-06 11:36:59

Hi,

in general this should work, however, this MIGHT be a problem with non-english keyboards. The keystroke feature in MT sends keys, not letters. We have had cases where e.g. a German keyboard would be received as a US keyboard, where Y and Z are exchanged.

If you're using a non-English kayboard layout, you can try 2 things:
1) Record Cmd-Y and see if it produces Cmd-Z in your target application
2) install a US-English keyboard. Switch to it and start MT. Then record the keystroke (Cmd-Z). Try if that works...

Thanks,
Florian

kidaxel

2014-10-06 12:25:16

Bingo! You nailed it! I have a german keyboard layout and with Command(Y) my undo just works perfectly fine (why didn't I think of this??). Meanwhile, my workaround is a remote script for Ableton Live that is capable of undo/redo as well, but anyways, it's good to know in case I wanna use this for another application.
Thanks a lot, greatly appreciated!
Axel