Can't get MT, Live and OhmRGB to work together. Please help

zenboy

2014-09-09 05:18:55

Hi All,

I've looked in the forums for a solution but could not find an solution to my problem.

I am Using Abelton Live and am controlling it via a Livid OhmRG. I've mapped all the buttons etc. of the OhmRGB to the controls I want and it works as expected. However, I need to use MT to map a few keyboard commands to finish the job. The problem comes in when I try to use MT, Live the OhmRGB at the same time.

I am using MT Pro Trial and have mapped the key commands to the buttons I want. If I start MT first, then open Live I get to use the buttons on the OhmRGB as defined by MT but then all other buttons do not register in Live.

If I start Live first then I get all the controls working like I expect, but when I start MT I get two Error messages:

"Failed to open MIDI OUT device "OhmRGB".
Please connect the device(s) or select another one in the MIDI setup."

as well as

"Cannot open MIDI input device "OhmRGB":

There is not enough memory available for this task. Quit one or more applications to increase available memory, and then try a"

The OhmRGB is definitely connected and I have 32Gb of ram, I do not have low memory.

Any clues what gives and the solution?

Thanks for the help

Zenboy

florian

2014-09-09 12:20:15

Hi,

this is Windows' cryptic error message when you try to open a MIDI port that is already in use by another application. Please look up the MIDI ports in LIVE and make sure that it is not using the OHM port(s) that you want to use in MT. And/or verify that no other running application might be blocking the OHM ports.

Hope that helps!
Florian

PS: in the next version of MT, we'll make sure that the error message is more meaningful!

zenboy

2014-09-10 05:41:40

Thanks for the reply.

I understand what you are saying in principle, but in practice I cannot seem to make it happen. It seems to me that the only ports both Live and MT use is the default (ohmRGB). If if it's the only one both can use, and only one can use it at a time, then I am stuck with no solution.

I tried to figure out if I could use MT midi mapping feature but I didn't get anywhere.

Can you provide more details about what I should do? I'm really hoping this can work out.

florian

2014-09-10 12:32:19

Hi,

since some programs "grab" all available MIDI ports by default, many users start MT first and then other programs to make sure that MT can open the ports it needs. In your case that's the OHM port.

Now for mapping, there are the virtual MIDI ports. Make sure to use the Pro edition of MT, and in the settings, enable at least one virtual port. Then you can create a route in MT from OHM to virtual 1, and from virtual 1 to OHM. Now everything should work as before, just that all MIDI data is routed through MT, and you can start creating translator presets for your mapping.

The user's manual provides some introductory chapters for this kind of usage of MT, too.

Florian

zenboy

2014-09-12 04:00:37

Figured out the mapping. It's just as you say. Thanks for the help. I'm Off.