BMT and KP3 help please

regnaleb

2014-08-30 15:30:56

I just bought BMT, and what I want to do is pretty simple: I want to use the KP3 to control several effects in Live and VirtualDJ, being able to select the effect to control on the pad with the 8 Program buttons at the top. Or if you want, being able to use the KP3 like if it was in Audio mode, selecting my presets with those 8 buttons.

I plan on doing the rest of the mapping (FX release slider, Hold button and Sample pads) directly in Live. I looked for tutorial on youtube and the useful ones seem to all be in German... I'm a total noob so if you could please help me that would be much appreciated!

DvlsAdvct

2014-08-31 18:47:19

Hi regnaleb

What you want to do is definitely doable with MT Pro. What you will need to do is create a whole host of translators to send MIDI to VDJ and Ableton separately using virtual MIDI ports found in MT Pro. Are you going to need to receive data back from VDJ or Ableton to control lights or modes, or will that all be handled directly in the KP3?

Jared

regnaleb

2014-08-31 21:44:06

Hey thanks for helping! In fact I don't use VDJ and Live at the same time,
I just thought that once I can make the pad send MIDI on different channels depending on what
program is selected I could then do manual MIDI setup in both
softwares.

So, let's say I want to control a beat repeat effect on
Track 1 and a phaser on Track 2... How should I configure
My translators in BMT? I know how to map an input note
To another or keystroke, but that's about it with my BMT skills...

DvlsAdvct

2014-08-31 22:06:12

Oh, well, if you want to have one project to control two applications there are a couple of ways to handle it, but it depends on how you map your applications individually.

If you are going to use the same keystrokes and MIDI messages for both then just use the same virtual MIDI port in both apps.

If you are going to want to use one project to control the two different applications in different ways you can use presets to keep things organized, and even select the appropriate preset using your KP3, but it does kind of make more sense to use two different projects, one for Ableton and one for VDJ so things are kept track of in a more organized fashion.

Mapping an input note to a keystroke is the same as mapping to an output note. You can use a translator to send multiple messages at the same time, if need be, and remember you use local variables like oo and pp for velocity so the translators trigger no matter what the velocity of the button is. Keep in mind, also, that Ableton and VDJ react to toggle and momentary commands VERY differently.

Honestly, I'd say start with the Ableton mapping, get it to work the way you want, and work on a separate VDJ mapping so they can both be optimized. I'd be more than happy to assist getting those started.