New User - Allen & Heath GS-R24M - Pro Tools 11

drumslut

2014-08-04 20:32:32

Hi all

My first post here and I was advised for any support to post on the form.

My set up is a Allen & Heath GS-R24M with the FW card and I am running Pro Tools 11 on a Late 2013 Trash Can mac and a Late 2013 Mac Book Pro

I have to start by saying midi is not my strong point so please go easy on me :)

I have my GS-R 24M setup in Pro Tools with the HUI setup as advised by the manual and it is awesome but I would like to be able to create my own short cuts using the 8 soft keys on the console.

The 8 soft keys are already mapped out for things like record enable mute etc etc and my first question would be how do I turn this off so i can use Bomes to create custom short cuts for Save , track edit windows , undo , redo etc ?

once i have figured that side of things out if its possible for help with finding out what midi note each soft key is triggering and how to then create my own Short cuts ?

Thank you all for the time and the help with this one !

DvlsAdvct

2014-08-05 18:08:51

Hi drumslut

I did a little googling and found the manual for your board here. On page 32 and 33 are the MIDI notes for the 8 buttons, as well as the commands for the Play, Rewind and other transport controls. They are listed as Hexadecimal values, but in MT, when inputting into the translator window you don't need to include the 0x. The MMC messages are formatted like Sysex messages, which is why they are so long.

Sysex messages always start with F0 and end with F7. Everything in between designates things like the hardware ID and the command messages, all wrapped up together.

You will also ness 9x and 8x for the same command. The MIDI byte 90 means a Note On message on Channel 1. An 80 message means a Note Off on Channel 1. So, when you see two messages next to each other, 90 and 80, it means one message for when the button is pressed (90) and one for when it is released (80)

Does that all make sense?
Jared

drumslut

2014-08-05 18:25:25

DvlsAdvct wrote:Hi drumslut

I did a little googling and found the manual for your board here. On page 32 and 33 are the MIDI notes for the 8 buttons, as well as the commands for the Play, Rewind and other transport controls. They are listed as Hexadecimal values, but in MT, when inputting into the translator window you don't need to include the 0x. The MMC messages are formatted like Sysex messages, which is why they are so long.

Sysex messages always start with F0 and end with F7. Everything in between designates things like the hardware ID and the command messages, all wrapped up together.

You will also ness 9x and 8x for the same command. The MIDI byte 90 means a Note On message on Channel 1. An 80 message means a Note Off on Channel 1. So, when you see two messages next to each other, 90 and 80, it means one message for when the button is pressed (90) and one for when it is released (80)

Does that all make sense?
Jared
Thanks for the add to the forum and also for such a quick reply

I kind of follow but am I right in saying I wont be able to change the soft Key if I am running the board in HUI as it is then tied to the Firmware ?

So for example if I was to create a bomes template It would then change what I had made in the template and also what is already configured in the firmware ?

Unless i was to run the whole thing in Bomes rather than HUI...... I would not mind doing that however i tried today and I followed then manual step by step and I could not get the board to send any midi out yet midi in was fine.

So for example if I move the faders in Pro Tools it ill move the faders on the board but if I move the faders on the board it wont move the faders in Pro Tools

I think the other issue I would face is that I would be tied to only using 24 faders and not be able to take advantage of fader banking if I get Bomes to see the out put values.

Thanks again for all the help with this

DvlsAdvct

2014-08-05 18:46:36

MT offers a MIDI Router which should be able to pass all the data from the board to Pro-tools, you'll just need to use a Virtual MIDI Port for it. And then you can only make changes to individual commands and it should work as expected otherwise. Since HUI is really just a very specific MIDI protocol, this shouldn't be that challenging, I don't think.

Are you on Windows or a Mac?

drumslut

2014-08-05 18:49:10

I am on Mac Mavericks 10.9.4

DvlsAdvct

2014-08-05 18:52:58

Okay, then you can get to the Router by selecting the Project name in the Preset Panel. On the right hand side the properties window should have MIDI Router at the bottom. You will need to select a Virtual Port as an In and Out in Pro-Tools, and I'd recommend using the MT Virtual Ports.

To do this, make sure you have activated the Virtual Ports. Select the MIDI Window at the top, then Virtual MIDI Ports. Activate 2 ports.

In the MIDI Router, draw a line connecting the A&H device In to MT Port 1 Out. In Pro-Tools select MT Port 1 as your Input. Select MT Port 2 as your Output. In MT draw a line in the router from MT Port 2 In to your A&H device Out. I'm almost positive that your A&H should work as expected now, and we can start making changes.

drumslut

2014-08-05 19:26:04

DvlsAdvct wrote:Okay, then you can get to the Router by selecting the Project name in the Preset Panel. On the right hand side the properties window should have MIDI Router at the bottom. You will need to select a Virtual Port as an In and Out in Pro-Tools, and I'd recommend using the MT Virtual Ports.

To do this, make sure you have activated the Virtual Ports. Select the MIDI Window at the top, then Virtual MIDI Ports. Activate 2 ports.

In the MIDI Router, draw a line connecting the A&H device In to MT Port 1 Out. In Pro-Tools select MT Port 1 as your Input. Select MT Port 2 as your Output. In MT draw a line in the router from MT Port 2 In to your A&H device Out. I'm almost positive that your A&H should work as expected now, and we can start making changes.
Awesome thank you I will go do that right now and report right back :)

drumslut

2014-08-05 19:39:34

Unfortunately like that I still have no Midi out flashing in MT when testing by moving the faders only the midi in and router out is flashing non stop

Was this to get the whole thing running under MT or was it to have the desk running with HUI and one other Virtual Port for the key bindings ?

[img][IMG]http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m53 ... 183337.png[/img]/img]

Sorry not quite sure how to upload images yet

DvlsAdvct

2014-08-05 19:40:57

See how the Router Out light is blinking? That means MIDI is passing through the Router, but not being translated. Check to see if it's working in Pro-Tools.

drumslut

2014-08-05 19:52:20

Ok that is a step forward with the following settings I have 8 faders working in Pro Tools

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m53 ... 184635.png

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m53 ... 4305-1.png

but I am also getting the annoying message about HUI unable to communicate

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m53 ... 184606.png

DvlsAdvct

2014-08-05 19:58:41

Hm... try disabling the A&H ports in Pro-Tools?

I'm going to do some further research as well to see if there is a way to do this without remapping the whole thing.

J

drumslut

2014-08-05 20:04:44

Ive now turned off the A&H devices in Pro Tools Setup Midi Input devices

Still only 8 faders working and the HUI message coming up

I really appreciate all the help

drumslut

2014-08-05 20:09:19

AHA nailed it got the faders all working :D

I had to do this in the Midi Router

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m53 ... 190753.png

drumslut

2014-08-05 20:15:22

Fader Banking is also working so everything is now set with Bomes running instead of the past way I did it with the A&H ins and outs :)

drumslut

2014-08-05 20:22:34

All seems ok but one thing I have noticed is that the Record light on my desk and the play light on my desk don't light up when it is running under Bomes

DvlsAdvct

2014-08-05 20:42:12

Hm.... Can you look at the log window and see what it shows?

Also, you can attach images straight to the forum using the Upload Attachment tab under the Submit button, next to Options.

drumslut

2014-08-05 21:17:46

it starts throwing up a load of info the second I hit the start button but I think this will show it
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-08-05 at 20.16.57.png
Screen Shot 2014-08-05 at 20.16.57.png (68.94 KiB) Viewed 20469 times

DvlsAdvct

2014-08-05 21:21:01

What we are looking for is 90 69 7F and 80 69 00 or F0 7F 7F 06 02 F7 for the MMC message. Uncheck the Incoming and Outgoing and only leave MIDI In and MIDI Out checked.

DvlsAdvct

2014-08-05 21:24:05

Oh, I just remembered, we never set a MIDI Out from Pro-Tools back to the A&H controller. In the MIDI Router, connect the ports the other way as well, so from MT 1 in to A&H 1, etc., and if that gives you weird interactions we may need to set some Output ports in Pro-Tools and route accordingly.

drumslut

2014-08-05 21:33:30

Would this routing be correct ?

I also hit the record button on the desk once I did not turn it off before I stopped the log as i was trying to catch it in the window
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-08-05 at 20.32.19.png
Screen Shot 2014-08-05 at 20.32.19.png (119.71 KiB) Viewed 20466 times

DvlsAdvct

2014-08-06 05:38:25

With that routing, does the controller light up as expected?

drumslut

2014-08-06 07:39:56

No still the same. The button works but play and record dont light when pressed as all other buttons do