Knob Acceleration Programming

CENTRIC

2014-06-13 15:31:45

Is there a way to use MT to accelerate the speed of which a knob sends data when you turn it? I have an arturia minilap controller and even when you set the knob speed to the highest level in the midi editor, you still have to crank them several times to open up a filter or raise a volume fader in Ableton. Is there a way to run the knobs through MT to accelerate them?

DvlsAdvct

2014-06-13 16:59:34

Hi CENTRIC

What you want to do is doable but it will require some trial and error. We need to use repeating timers to send multiple messages at a designated delay. I can only give you a guide for this but you will need to dial in the exact values you need.

We are going to set up a timer that repeats a certain number of times at a certain rate every time the knob sends a message left or right. The direction that you turn the knob will be stored as a global variable, in this example ga, so that when the timer triggers it repeats the correct direction.

Code: Select all

Translator 1: Receive Knob
Incoming Message: B0 5F ga
Rules: None
Outgoing Message: Timer: Repeat Knob 0ms Delay Repeat 5 times at 5ms Delay

Translator 2: Repeat Knob
Incoming Message: Timer: Repeat Knob
Rules: None
Outgoing Message: B0 5F ga
So what this should do is send more clicks of the knob after it has been turned, in whatever direction you turned it. My example above very well may not be perfect but it should be a starting point to dial in the resolution you need.

Does that make sense?
Jared