Emulating keystrokes to type the value of a variable

Laimon

2014-03-30 22:31:24

Hi, I am trying to use the midi translator to receive a certain message, save my current live set in Ableton and open a new one. Ideally this would also save the live set with a new name each time and just move on to the next one.
So the strategy I thought was to have the midi translator enter a generic name of the file in the confirmation window, say "Set", following by a number. The number would be increased every time that I save.
So here are the main questions I have:
- is it possible to create a (or use an existing) variable, initially set to 0, and then increment it every time? Would the value be persistent between sessions, e.g. I close the translator when it has value 10, and when I open it again it still has 10?
- even more importantly, how does one emulate, in the outgoing message, the keystrokes to type the value of the above variable?
Thanks for any help!

DvlsAdvct

2014-03-31 16:58:31

Hi Laimon

I'm not 100% sure you can use global variables in Keystroke emulation. Let me find out for sure and get an answer to you ASAP.

Thanks
Jared

florian

2014-04-03 20:36:32

Hi Laimon,

this would indeed be very useful.

Unfortunately, Midi Translator (as of version 1.7.2), can neither store variables persistently, nor can you use variables in the keystroke action.

The latter could be somehow worked around, but a bit cumbersome. We plan a secondary "keystroke output" action where you enter text instead of keys. There you'd also be able to use variables in a variety of ways (as is already possible with the "Execute File" outgoing action).

We plan to add persistent storage in a future version of MT.

Best,
Florian

Laimon

2014-04-03 20:51:01

florian wrote:Hi Laimon,

this would indeed be very useful.

Unfortunately, Midi Translator (as of version 1.7.2), can neither store variables persistently, nor can you use variables in the keystroke action.

The latter could be somehow worked around, but a bit cumbersome. We plan a secondary "keystroke output" action where you enter text instead of keys. There you'd also be able to use variables in a variety of ways (as is already possible with the "Execute File" outgoing action).

We plan to add persistent storage in a future version of MT.

Best,
Florian
Hi Florian,

thanks a lot for the clarification! It was a long shot, I admit it. But no biggie, I understand what I want to do is particularly specific, and it's not the end of the world if I have to type something myself when saving a loop ;-)
Thanks again,

Simone