how could have led feedback for solo in Ableton Live

Mossano

2014-03-28 07:30:16

HI! I have a small problem with my mapping setup for solo and others buttons on ableton live and xone k2...because i don't have led feedback from ableton live. How can i set bomes for this? It works properly if i do not press another knob or fader....i think that i need a condition for velocity, i don't know, because when press solo button and led is on and i press another button or knob, after that when i press again solo button the led remains on. I hope that i made myself clear because i don't know very well english and i am new in this issue.
Thank you very much in advance!!
my notes for solo buttons are 40, 41, 42, 43 on ch15. I have the same problem with "track status" and loop on/off, in/out.

DvlsAdvct

2014-03-28 16:38:10

Hi Mossano

This is definitely doable using global variables. We are going to focus on the Solo button exclusively right now. I'm assuming you want all of the Solo buttons to work independently, but if you want each to only be on one at a time then we can figure that out.\

Each time you press the button it is going to cycle a global variable between 1 and 0. That translator will communicate back and forth to your DAW as you'd expect, but it won't communicate to your controller. Instead we will have a second translator which will communicate to your controller only on the downpress of the button and cross reference the global variable.

Code: Select all

Translator 1: Solo Button 1
Incoming Message: 90 40 pp
Rules: if pp==127 then g0=g0+1
if g0>1 then g0=0
Outgoing Message: 90 40 pp

Translator 2: Solo Button 1 LED
Incoming Message: 90 40 7F
Rules: if g0==1 then pp=127
if g0==0 then pp=0
Outgoing Message: 90 40 pp
First translator goes to Ableton, second translator goes to your K2. Let me know if that works.

Jared

Mossano

2014-03-28 21:20:55

Hi Jared!
Thanks for this first step...it works individually!!!
I did 8 translators for all 4 solo tracks with 9E 28 7F, 9E 29 7F, 9E 2A 7F and 9E 2B 7F. After a few tries, it worked
even I don't know if it's just right what i've done with midi in/out ports. :)
What I noticed is that if i press solo button 1 and after that i press solo button 2, in ableton works perfectly(solo button on track2 in on) but on K2, solo button 1 led remains on and 2 is off. After that, everything is "upside down":(
The same problem when I try to press two, three or four solo buttons at once.

DvlsAdvct

2014-03-28 21:33:16

Use a different global variable for each translator. Instead of g0 use g1, g2, etc. Give that a shot and see what happens.

Mossano

2014-03-28 22:33:55

Hi again!
Now I can press 2, 3 or 4 buttons in the same time and it works perfectly if i can press again the same buttons. For example: when i hold solo 1 and 2 and after that solo 3, all three leds are on but in ableton only solo 3 is on. When i hold all 4 buttons and after that only one, that one is off and the rest are still on...in ableton all 4 are off. When i press solo 1 the led is on, after that i press solo 2 and both are on even in ableton only solo 2 is on...the same if i press further solo 3 and/or solo 4.
Sorry if I bother you but i'm going crazy with this ableton because I lost many nights with this! :(
I worked like a schoolboy only with midi messages...hard work!!!

DvlsAdvct

2014-03-28 22:44:46

Ah, well, that's going to require a slightly different logic, but is still doable. What we're going to do is tie all of the buttons to the same global variable, but each button has a different value of 1-4. When it is 0 then all buttons are off. Give this a shot:

Translator 1: Solo Buttons
Incoming Message: 9E qq pp
Rules: if qq==60 Goto "Channel 1"
if qq==61 then Goto "Channel 2"
if qq==62 then Goto "Channel 3"
if qq==63 then Goto "Channel 4"
Label "Channel 1"
if g0!=1 then g0=1
Exit rules, execute outgoing action
if g0==1 then g0=0
Label "Channel 2"
if g0!=2 then g0=2
if g0==2 then g0=0
Label "Channel 3"
if g0!=3 then g0=3
if g0==3 then g0=0
Label "Channel 4"
if g0!=4 then g0=4
if g0==4 then g0=0
Outgoing Message: 9E qq pp

Translator 2: Solo Button Ableton
Incoming Message: Solo Button Timer
Rules: if g0==0 then Goto "Off"
if g0==1 then Goto "Channel 1"
if g0==2 then Goto "Channel 2"
if g0==3 then Goto "Channel 3"
if g0==4 then Goto "Channel 4"
Label "Off"
pp=0
qq=0
rr=0
ss=0
Label "Channel 1"
pp=127
qq=0
rr=0
ss=0
Label "Channel 2"
pp=0
qq=127
rr=0
ss=0
Label "Channel 3"
pp=0
qq=0
rr=127
ss=0
Label "Channel 4"
pp=0
qq=0
rr=0
ss=127
Outgoing Message: 9E 40 pp 9E 41 qq 9E 42 rr 9E 43 ss
Once again, the first translator goes to Ableton and the second translator goes to the K2. Let me know how that works.

Jared

Mossano

2014-03-28 23:47:27

First translator is ok! It has changed the mode of solo activation in ableton.The second translator( for this I choose event Timer and Timer name, Solo Buttons Timer) keeps all the led's on after the first press, even i changed outgoing messages for my K2( 9E 28 pp 9E 29 qq 9E 2A rr 9E 2B ss)

DvlsAdvct

2014-03-29 00:04:48

Oh, that's my bad. I forgot a key piece, y'know, the translator that triggers the timer.

Translator 2: Solo Button Timer
Incoming Message: 9E qq 7F
rules:
if qq<60 then exit rules, skip outgoing action
if qq>63 then exit rules, skip outgoing action
Outgoing Message: Timer 0ms Delay Solo Button Timer
That should work, and every time you press the button the timer should trigger once and update the LEDs. Also, we need to add one rule I forgot to the initial translator. Right at the top put:

if pp==0 then exit rules, execute outgoing action

Which means that when you release the button it just sends the signal and doesn't update any of the global variables. Let me know if that works.

J

Mossano

2014-03-29 00:31:47

I think that you're right but doesn't work. After the first press all led's remain on.
The first traslator has changed a litle bit but it's ok.

DvlsAdvct

2014-03-29 00:32:39

I have to step out, but I'll take another look at this in a little bit. There's probably something wrong with my code.

Mossano

2014-03-29 00:34:11

Outgoing action Timer
Timer name Solo button timer
initial delay(ms) o

Mossano

2014-03-29 00:35:33

Ok! Thank you very much! I'll wait your solution.. :)

DvlsAdvct

2014-03-29 00:58:21

Can you attach the project that you've put together?

Mossano

2014-03-29 01:54:30

Yes, of course!
Something strage happened: I just played, a little, with the first code...and after that I activate the last translator from project. I press the buttons on K2, led's remain on, of course, and after deactivated that last translator, first code project works...somehow different. The activation solo in ableton was different but logical with feedback led on K2...until i restarted the Ableton.
Attachments
Solo buttons.bmtp
(2.97 KiB) Downloaded 226 times

DvlsAdvct

2014-03-29 15:40:11

Oh, well, the root of the problem is that I was using the initial commands you put in (40, 41, 42, 43) as if they were in Hex, not Decimal. So, yeah, those rules are all wrong.

In that long translator I gave you, it needs to be

if qq==40 then Goto "Channel 1"
if qq==41 then Goto "Channel 2"
if qq==42 then Goto "Channel 3"
if qq==43 then Goto "Channel 4"
The translator that triggers the solo button timer needs to be above the translator that responds to it. The rules need to be

if qq<40 then exit rules, skip outgoing action
if qq>43 then exit rules, skip outgoing action
And then the last translator you have correct. THAT should work. Was just a big misunderstanding on my part :)

J

Mossano

2014-03-29 20:07:36

Hi J!
Leds remains on, after one press :(

Mossano

2014-03-29 21:41:28

I don't know!!! Maybe I did something wrong from the beginning, midi rooting in ableton or in MT...
For example: in ableton i have MT for midi in and xone k2 for midi out, because i use two K2 for my setup...i don't know but it must to work after all. :(

DvlsAdvct

2014-03-29 21:43:51

OH! That'll do it then. You need to have your routing as:

K2 -> MT
MT Virtual Port 1 -> Ableton
Ableton -> MT Virtual Port 2
MT -> K2

Ableton should never communicate to your K2, since it'll cause overlapped messages. You aren't even, in this case, communicating with Ableton to your K2.

Mossano

2014-03-29 23:19:07

Ok! In ableton I selected midi in-MT(track and remote), midi out-MT(track and remote), in MT is selected midi in-Xone K2, midi out-Xone K2 and MT( it must be selected MT virtual in for midi in?), and routing is in a cross K2-MTin, MTout-K2. First Translator has: Midi in port-MTin, Midi out port-MTout. The second translator has only Midi in port and now nothing happens, even i selected MTin or K2 or both.
Pffff!!!

Mossano

2014-03-29 23:21:20

I mean, no feedback led on K2, even in ABLETON solo works

DvlsAdvct

2014-03-29 23:21:28

The first translator is

Input: K2
Output: Virtual Bome Port to Ableton

Second Translator is:
Input: K2
Output: None because it's the timer

Third Translator is:
Input: None because it's the timer
Output: K2

Delete all the routings in the MIDI router and tell me if that works. If it does we'll more on from there.

Mossano

2014-03-29 23:55:37

Nothing Happened! It works but with no led feedback on K2.
I attached the project.
Attachments
Bome's Solo Buttons.bmtp
(1.5 KiB) Downloaded 178 times

DvlsAdvct

2014-03-30 00:19:56

Alright, I took a deeper look and found out a few issues. So, first off, you have the wrong timer as the incoming action. You have it as Solo Buttons Timer, but the timer you put in is called Solo Button Timer. If you go into the third translator and press the drop down menu choose the correct timer.

I also fixed some errors with the rules so they work correctly. I'm going to once again copy and paste for each translator. It's working on my VCI-380, so it should work on your K2.

Translator 1's rules:

if pp==0 then exit rules, execute Outgoing Action
if qq==40 then Goto "Channel 1"
if qq==41 then Goto "Channel 2"
if qq==42 then Goto "Channel 3"
if qq==43 then Goto "Channel 4"
Label "Channel 1"
if g0==1 then skip next 2 rules
g0=1
exit rules, execute Outgoing Action
g0=0
Label "Channel 2"
if g0==2 then skip next 2 rules
g0=2
g0=0
Label "Channel 3"
if g0==3 then skip next 2 rules
g0=3
g0=0
Label "Channel 4"
if g0==4 then skip next rule
g0=4
g0=0
Translator 2's rules

if pp<1 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
if qq<40 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
if qq>43 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
Translator 3s Rules:

if g0==0 then Goto "Off"
if g0==1 then Goto "Channel 1"
if g0==2 then Goto "Channel 2"
if g0==3 then Goto "Channel 3"
if g0==4 then Goto "Channel 4"
Label "Off"
pp=0
qq=0
rr=0
ss=0
Label "Channel 1"
pp=127
qq=0
rr=0
ss=0
Label "Channel 2"
pp=0
qq=127
rr=0
ss=0
Label "Channel 3"
pp=0
qq=0
rr=127
ss=0
Label "Channel 4"
pp=0
qq=0
rr=0
ss=127
Some of it was error in my examples, though, since I was typing without MT in front of me. I have this working in front of me, let me know if it works. :)

J

Mossano

2014-03-30 01:20:13

Finnaly I have led feedback, but...
In ableton every solo button is independent but feedback isn't.
For example: press solo 1-led 1 is on, when i press solo 2-led 2 is on-led 1 is off but in ableton solo 1 remains on.
If I push all four solo buttons on K2, all solo buttons in ableton are on but on the K2 i have just one led feedback, i think that is the last push it.
I attached again the project with changes, maybe is something wrong because i'm not sure about the correct timer
Thank you a lot!!!
Attachments
Bome's Solo Buttons.bmtp
(1.51 KiB) Downloaded 186 times

DvlsAdvct

2014-03-30 01:39:20

No no, it's fine. I was under the impression only one solo button can be activated at a time, so I'll attach the project the way it needs to be. We were right the first time we were doing it. You're just going to just need to set the Default Ports of your project to the K2 and it should work.
Attachments
Bome Solo K2.bmtp
(1.61 KiB) Downloaded 179 times

Mossano

2014-03-30 03:16:15

Finally it works!!! :)
For Translator 1, I put midi in-K2, midi out-MT out, and for Translator 2, I put midi in-K2, midi out-K2.
There is a possibility that the project when it opens, if a solo button from ableton is enabled, to know that even ableton not having feedback? There is the only problem now...if the solo button in ableton in enabled and I press for the first time the solo button on K2, the led becomes on and in ableton it deactivates?
Thank you very much for your work and your patience!

DvlsAdvct

2014-03-30 03:18:35

As of this project there isn't. What we can do is try and figure out how Ableton feeds back, because sometimes it's strange, but the way it is set up right now that won't work. What you can do, though, is set up an output from Ableton to MT Virtual Port 2, and test out how Ableton sends data back to MT. If you need help with it let me know and I can throw something together but it's getting late here and I have pesky errands and the whatnot. :)

Don't hesitate to bring questions, though.

Mossano

2014-03-30 03:26:23

The same here but i'm a nightman :)
OK, thank you again and sleep well!
Sorry to bother you 2 nights!

DvlsAdvct

2014-03-30 03:37:14

Don't worry about the bother at all, it isn't in any way. I'll pick this up tomorrow, for sure. When you're stumped or off for the night let me know where you're at and I'll fill in the blanks. :)

sebadem1987

2016-02-14 15:40:58

Hello,
I have a question, is it possible to have feedback from multiple tracks on 1 button?
I use chlyphx, and have a butten from arm, mute, solo. is it possible to remember the led feedback if i switch from track a => track b =>...
my settings on clyphx, (user mode, ableton preset)
trackarm = note, 6, 116, arm
trackmon = note, 6, 117, mon
trackmute = note, 6, 118, mute
tracksolo = note, 6, 119, solo
these buttons work on every track and I'm able to get feedback from solo on the first track i set solo on.
so is it possible that if I switch to any other track i'll get the led feedback from solo. and whats the solostate of the track.
Don't know I'm explaning it rigth, sry :)
grtz
* I'm Using a launchpad Pro and ableton
midi settings: lppro > MT 2 > ableton
ableton > MT 2 > Lppro
Chlyphx input: mt 2

DvlsAdvct

2016-03-01 15:50:16

Hi sebadem1987

Sorry for the delay, but what you want to do is definitely doable. We need to assign the current state (the value) to a global variable that can be recalled. The issue arises in defining how you switch which track you're looking at. There's some cross referencing we have to do. So I need some more information so we can put together the math.

How many tracks are your scrolling through? If it's infinite it becomes a lot harder, but if it's a set project length of 8, 10, 20, etc., we can figure this out.

Are you using presets or just translators?
Thanks
Jared