Can't kill timer anymore

mocker

2014-03-05 11:37:11

I've been using a nice preset for a while with my Softstep 1 and Ableton Live 9.1.1. Basically, it serves at sending volume control to a track transforming absolute cc to relative. I use timers as you can see below. Since yesterday it seems the timer can't be killed anymore. Note below that I'm also sending led ccs to the Softstep (BUT I tried deactivating the SS out, it doesn't change anything, so it's not related to those messages).
Symptom : the volume slider goes up by itself after 1 press and the timer gets stuck.
What has changed : I've upgraded the SS to firmware 2, but every other translator still work as it should.
Last : it works perfect if I use "multiple times" instead of "infinitely".
Any idea ?

[x] Translator 0.21: PAD 7 VOL timer +
Incoming: CC ch.1: #86, 127, on port "SSCOM : Port 1 (KESUMO, LLC)"
Rules:
if g7==1 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
g7=1
Outgoing: Timer Infinitely "Vol Loop 1 timer +": 70 ms (initial delay: 10 ms)

[x] Translator 0.22: PAD 7 VOL out +
Incoming: On timer "Vol Loop 1 timer +"
Rules: g7=0
Outgoing: CC ch.3: All Sound off (#120), 1 - CC ch.1: Balance LSB (#40), 6 - CC ch.1: #41, 0 - CC ch.1: Pan LSB (#42), 4 - CC ch.1: General 3 LSB (#50), 86 - CC ch.1: General 4 LSB (#51), 79 - CC ch.1: #52, 76 - CC ch.1: #53, 43, to ports Bome's Midi Translator 1 Virtual Out, "SSCOM : Port 1 (KESUMO, LLC)"

[x] Translator 0.23: PAD 7 VOL stop +
Incoming: CC ch.1: #86, 63, on port "SSCOM : Port 1 (KESUMO, LLC)"
Outgoing: Kill timer "Vol Loop 1 timer +"

[x] Translator 0.24: PAD 7 VOL timer -
Incoming: CC ch.1: #86, 0, on port "SSCOM : Port 1 (KESUMO, LLC)"
Rules:
if g7==1 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
g7=1
Outgoing: Timer Infinitely "Vol Loop 1 timer -": 70 ms (initial delay: 10 ms)

[x] Translator 0.25: PAD 7 VOL out -
Incoming: On timer "Vol Loop 1 timer -"
Outgoing: CC ch.3: All Sound off (#120), 65 - CC ch.1: Balance LSB (#40), 6 - CC ch.1: #41, 0 - CC ch.1: Pan LSB (#42), 4 - CC ch.1: General 3 LSB (#50), 86 - CC ch.1: General 4 LSB (#51), 79 - CC ch.1: #52, 76 - CC ch.1: #53, 45, to ports Bome's Midi Translator 1 Virtual Out, "SSCOM : Port 1 (KESUMO, LLC)"

[x] Translator 0.26: PAD 7 VOL stop -
Incoming: CC ch.1: #86, 63, on port "SSCOM : Port 1 (KESUMO, LLC)"
Outgoing: Kill timer "Vol Loop 1 timer -"

DvlsAdvct

2014-03-05 16:35:22

Hi mocker

So I don't have a softstep, and therefore have a really hard time replicating your problem. Instead I want to start by asking a few questions to make sure I understand your presets.

1) Each translator is triggered by the same CC (#86) on different velocities. So if you press the button down all the way it will trigger the timer, if you release it you will trigger the timer, and if you have it halfway it will kill the timer? This could also be me misunderstanding the input messages as you have mapped them on your Softstep.

2) On your outputs you also have Ch.1 CC 86 listed, and have the same Output port as your Input port (SSCOM : Port 1 (Kesumo, LLC)) listed. This could cause some strange reactions, especially since it is on a 10ms timer and would therefore override the Kill Timer message after it has been received.

Your logic seems sound, it is just the messages contained therein which is confusing me.

Let me know
Jared

mocker

2014-03-05 17:07:13

DvlsAdvct wrote:Hi mocker

So I don't have a softstep, and therefore have a really hard time replicating your problem. Instead I want to start by asking a few questions to make sure I understand your presets.

1) Each translator is triggered by the same CC (#86) on different velocities. So if you press the button down all the way it will trigger the timer, if you release it you will trigger the timer, and if you have it halfway it will kill the timer? This could also be me misunderstanding the input messages as you have mapped them on your Softstep.

2) On your outputs you also have Ch.1 CC 86 listed, and have the same Output port as your Input port (SSCOM : Port 1 (Kesumo, LLC)) listed. This could cause some strange reactions, especially since it is on a 10ms timer and would therefore override the Kill Timer message after it has been received.

Your logic seems sound, it is just the messages contained therein which is confusing me.

Let me know
Jared
1) Yeah exactly. 127 for timer + (up), 0 for timer - (down) and halfway to kill them. As I said, it works OK when using multiple times instead of infinite.

2) No, 86 is a value for controller #50 (CC ch.1: General 3 LSB (#50), 86), it's not cc 86. The other messages go back to Port 1 to control the Softstep's leds and display. I use these type of messages all the time with no issues. I deactivated port 1 as an output, just to be sure, still no effect on the "timer stuck" problem.

I think it is definitely related to the "infinitely" option. Why now as it has worked for months : ???

mocker

2014-03-05 18:01:46

I just discovered that KMI must have changed something in their new firmware/editor. I used to use what they call an Y live pad (that is you can press up or down on the same pad) with a gain of 10 and a -567 offset, so I had only 0, 63 and 127 values sent on that pad. 63 would kill the timer. It seems it's not possible anymore to specify such values in their new editor… I'll have to find another way.

mocker

2014-03-06 10:45:22

To whom it may concern, I got a confirmation from KMI (Softstep) : they did change their firmware v.2, thus now you can't go further than -127 in the offset box. They "promised" to revert back to the old behaviour (999 to -999) asap. Let's cross fingers.
Thanks Jared for spending time on my case anyway.

DvlsAdvct

2014-03-06 14:27:35

Totally cool. If they make the changes and there are any issues don't hesitate to come around again asking :)