Considering buying Midi Translator

monks

2014-02-17 14:21:43

Hi, I'm considering a purchase, but first I need to check that what I want to do is possible.
I need to be able to open a live set (.als file) from within Ableton Live (live music sequencer), from a Novation Launch pad pro or other midi controller. The live set would need to be opened from hard disk- so basically I need to launch a script from a midi controller that scripts the process of opening the file from the Ableton browser, or equivalent. I'd need to script to the direct url to the file on hard disk of course.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Cheers,
monks

DvlsAdvct

2014-02-20 06:04:42

Hi monks

You can select a file to be executed as an outgoing action in MT triggered by any MIDI note, but I want to be 100% sure this will work as intended, so I've passed this on to Florian for his input.

Thanks
Jared

florian

2014-02-20 09:50:19

Hi Monks,

yes, it should work to specify the ALS file directly as an "Execute File" outgoing action. Then Ableton will load it (hopefully without further user interaction).

The other way it will work with MT is to script the keystrokes necessary to open a specific file, starting with the keyboard shortcut to invoke the Open dialog, then "type" the filename, then ENTER. You will probably need to add a pause after the shortcut to let the dialog appear.

Please try the first approach with the trial version -- ask back here if you have trouble setting up the translator action in Midi Translator!

Regards,
Florian

monks

2014-02-21 22:57:11

Thanks, I'll take a look at it. Basically we're using a laptop sequencer live, and I'm trying to avoid having the entire set open in one .als, for a few reasons, one being system load, but also because we're doing a bit more than just playing back stereo wavs. So opening/launching tracks individually with zero interaction with a keyboard could work out simpler.

monks