Numeric keypad

mschnell

2014-02-05 22:34:28

I am considering to use a numerical-only keypad (USB or PS2) as another input device to MT's translators (besides the musical keyboard).

I understand that MT is able to use such keystrokes as input events.

Now the box I use is "headless", to be handled without monitor, mouse and normal PC-keyboard functions, and hence I have no control about the window of which software is "active", as all software (including MT) is started when the system boots.

I suppose MT can only see keystrokes when it's window is active.

How can this be managed ?

-Michael

DvlsAdvct

2014-02-06 01:34:53

MT can see keystrokes even when it is not active. It will always be listening for keystrokes. It will not, however, swallow keystrokes, so if you have an application open that can receive keystrokes (Word, for example) then it will still type your keystrokes even if MIDI information is being sent as well.

Does that make sense?

mschnell

2014-02-06 07:09:02

Thanks, This does make great sense .

But if MT does not "swallow" the keystrokes, is there any means to make sure that they will not reach an application that might be affected ? In this environment, in "productive mode" keystrokes are not expected.

-Michael

DvlsAdvct

2014-02-06 15:42:29

Well, usually most OS's will only point keystrokes at the application that is open. So, if you have Word as your active application and you're using MT to translate keystrokes into MIDI commands Word will always receive the keystrokes, but whatever is listening for those MIDI signals will react.

So if you are using keystrokes in Ableton and Ableton is active, it can receive both the keystroke data and the MIDI data. Usually only the application in front view will respond to keystrokes. But a lot of applications can have their keystroke specs modified.

mschnell

2014-02-06 18:30:34

I did understand this, and this is why I asked.

With my auto-starting setup, I don't know which of the applications is "active".

Right now there will be three candidates: Midi Translator, Kontakt, and LinuxSampler. But supposedly some more will be added some day soon.

I can't be sure if they will be correctly ignore it when receiving a number-key.

-Michael