TCP/IP

mschnell

2014-01-23 11:21:32

Hi Bome Software experts,

A friend of mine produces a device that can receive and send DMX data. It also can "fire" MP3 files to it's stereo audio output. It has a built-in rules based engine that can "fire" DMX sequences and is programmable and controllable via DMX and via TCP/IP.

Unfortunately the current version does not have MIDI I/O, nor USB.

I feel, such device could nicely be combined with computer based features such as "Midi Translator" offers.

Hence it would be great to have an interface for this purpose. (USB already would be usable with the translator, if the Device would feature USB hardware and could act as a standard MIDI/USB box.)

As DMX-to-USB convertors, that create DMX interfaces for a PC, are not very common and rather expensive, a TCP/IP interface for the Translator would be great.

With that, you also could use Translator (at either site) to easily connect multiple PCs in certain applications for enhancing performance and/or for transporting Midi and control data via a long distance.

-Michael

florian

2014-02-09 14:50:31

Hi Michael,

thanks for the suggestion! We have already developed such technology for OEM customers and plan to add network support in a future version of MT Pro.

Best regards,
Florian

mschnell

2014-10-19 11:58:40

Currently I am exploring Reaper (as a DAW and as a VST host).

I was exited to see that Reaper already provides network functionality: you can run another copy of Reaper on a different PC and completely remote control parts of it from the "local" PC.

At the remote site, you can install VST plugins and the audio and Midi tracks you are working on can uses these plugins via the (GBit- TCP/IP- ) Network as if they were installed locally (seemingly any latency issues automatically are handled appropriately, even though I would not dare to use this in a "live" setup).

The advantage is, that you can offload CPU power needed by complex VSTs and (very important for me) you can use VSTs that are licensed to run on a different (e.g. portable "live-use") -PC in your non-portable DAW setup.

This said, it might make sense to take a look at the TCP/IP Midi protocol they are using to allow MT to be integrated in such a setup.

-Michael

florian

2014-10-26 14:01:10

yes, thanks for the idea. That might be an option, though probably an MT VST plugin plus MT's own network connection will do the trick, too.
Florian