generic usage

kdwykleingeld

2014-01-20 06:34:11

Hi, i am new to bome midi trasnslator and have a generic question to better understand if bome is applicabe for my use case ..

Assume i have a midi controller with lots of buttons, turn knobs , faders , jog wheel etc (for example electrix tweaker , or behringer pl-1 or numark orbit or other ) .. that is capable of sending midi notes/cc messages ..

and i want to control multiple software packages, running on my pc , from this controller,, simultanously ... i.e.:

1) i want to control my audio interface (rme fireface) through its totalmix software (which can receive midi cc/notes) to perform several functions.. mainly control main volume .. and some faders for inputs / outputs

btw .. total mix can also receive macky protocol msesages

2) i want to control my media player (jriver) to select albums .. and start / stop / pause etc ... jriver can only be controlles through "command line" commands .. such as "mc18.exe /Play"

3) i want to control my audacity software .. to edit stuff... audacity can only be controlled through "keyboard" and mouse commands .. also jogwheel is used here to move forward backward in a song

question ...

would this be a typical use case for bome ? so bome will interact with multiple appliactions using multiple ways to interact simultanously .. so that i can controll it all from 1 place

and would it be possible to assign for example 1 button as switch to toggle between applications .. so that you have the whol controlles available for an applicatioon .. and after toggle you control the other one

thx Koen

DvlsAdvct

2014-01-20 18:06:51

Hi Koen

Most of what you want to do is doable in MIDI Translator, definitely. Right now there isn't a way to open different windows, however, but if you are on a PC you should be able to recreate the Alt+Tab command to select a new window.

As far as sending MIDI, you can designate individual translators or whole presets to send commands to different MIDI ports, and as long as the window you want to receive keystrokes is the active window MIDI translator will also send key commands to it.

I haven't done a lot of work with command lines, but the Outgoing Actions menu does have a command line option including variables.

If you need any more detailed information let me know
Thanks
Jared

mschnell

2014-02-02 22:29:11

DvlsAdvct wrote:as long as the window you want to receive keystrokes is the active window MIDI translator will also send key commands to it.
(In Windows:) As MT can send Midi messages to windows it in fact can send keystrokes to any window not only the "active" one, as keystrokes are just windows messages and a windows messages always has a specification for a window as a target.

Moreover I suppose there also is a "bring to front" Windows message that you can have MT send to any existing window to "activate" it (i.e. "select an application")

-Michael

betkya

2014-04-15 00:00:40

I still don't understand if it is possible to send
keystroke messages from BMT to background applications?

IE:keystroke from BMT (spacebar) to background app. :oops:

florian

2014-08-28 18:09:07

As of version 1.7.2, MT does not offer an "out of the box" solution to send keystrokes to an inactive application. On Windows you might get something to work by using a Window Message action, but it's complicated and error prone. Plus, we'll remove that feature from future versions.

However, for MT 1.8 and later, there will be these new features:
  1. Windows: "inject" keystrokes
    That's gonna be an option for outgoing keystrokes that will only be executed on Windows (for now). It will not work with all applications, as some applications will ignore such injected keystrokes unless active.
  2. OS X: AppleScript
    The next version will let you execute AppleScripts commands and use it to send keystrokes to other applications.
We don't publish release dates, but we're currently doing internal beta testing.

Thanks,
Florian

mschnell

2014-08-28 22:54:37

florian wrote:Plus, we'll remove that feature from future versions
I hope there will be a decent API instead of this.

With MidiTranslator generated "free" Windows messages, the knowledgeable user, using any programming language, is able to create his own program receiving those and have it be remote controlled by the MidiTranslator to integrate it in the Midi proceedings.

Of course there are more usable program-to-program message channels (including midi). But Windows messages seems like most easy to use (on Windows) .

A decent bidirectional API for customer programs would be great - especially regarding that once there might be a VST-version of MidiTranslator.

-Michael