Padkontrol's Scenes change via midi? (solved)

liveact

2014-01-19 03:18:25

Hi!

I would like to change the Korg padkontrol's scene via midi clip from ableton.
I tried it and I have a sysex information at here:

static.twoday.net/kpkproject/files/Padkontrol-Sysex-Imp.pdf

I just began to use the Bome midi translator,and I don't know how to write this code,
and don't know how route virtual midi ports.

So any help are welcome!

Thank You very much!

DvlsAdvct

2014-01-19 21:24:24

Hi liveact

Been trying to do some research to figure out the best way to get the PadKontrol to respond via MIDI and it seems harder than it should be, more because the controller is around 8 years old and doesn't have all of the features we think it should. I do not believe that Ableton will be able to send the sysex messages (unless 9.1 lets you and I just don't know it, which is totally possible), but MIDI Translator can do it for you if you are willing to do the mapping.

It looks like to do this, though, you need to put the PadKontrol into Native mode. Now, I think there would be a way to move the PadKontrol into native mode, change the scene and move it out of native mode, but I'm not 100% sure that this will do precisely what you're asking for, mainly because I don't have a PadKontrol in front of me. We can give it a shot, but we're going to have a bunch of translators to add to MIDI Translator.

You up for giving it a shot?
Jared

liveact

2014-01-19 23:00:12

Hi Jared!

Thank You for the reply!

My idea is simply,but the implementation not as easy what I think.
So,I have 16 different scenes in padkontrol and I would like to use almost all of them,becouse I have many various stlye music in my live set,and each have different synth,or other sample what I trig by the padkontrol.
I can chose the scenes manually but it's a lots scenes what I have to keep on my head,and the ableton can't send scene change via midi,so my plan is a little trick with midi translator.

When I hit the next song in Ableton I also send midi clip with note,for example 'C3 for Scene 1 C4 for Scene 2' to midi translator via virtual midi port,and the outgoing midi message is a sysex 'scene change information' what the translator send to the padkontrol.

I tried to capture sysex change Hex info,when I change it manually and here are the codes.

Scene 1 - F0 42 40 6E 08 5F 4F 00 F7

Scene 2 - F0 42 40 6E 08 5F 4F 01 F7

Scene 3 - F0 42 40 6E 08 5F 4F 02 F7

and so on...

I also tried to send it back to Padkontrol,but nothing happened.

Hope you understand me,my English not too good.

Thank You!

DvlsAdvct

2014-01-19 23:59:17

Hi liveact

Your English is just fine. I'm pretty sure I understand your issue. That being said, a lot of this is an issue with the PadKontrol in general, and its extremely limited MIDI control.

I've done some research on the PadKontrol today and tried to find a solution. I can't be 100% sure this is going to work, so please make sure to back up any data you need before moving forward just in case. I believe the only way to use those MIDI messages is to switch into Native Mode. When you switch into Native Mode you need to make sure that Port B is communicating with your DAW, since that's where the normal MIDI messages should be sent, and the Sysex messages are sent to Port A on the PadKontrol, which is listening for the special commands.

To enter Native Mode the sysex command SHOULD be F0 42 40 6E 08 00 00 01 F7 and then to exit Native Mode is F0 42 40 6E 08 00 00 00 F7

Now I'm not 100% on this one, but I think if you enter Native Mode you should be able to switch scenes via your Sysex Commands. Give it a shot?

metastatik

2014-01-20 00:43:37

You should use the Scene Change Request Sysex message that's covered in the pdf you mentioned. That looks like:
F0 42 40 6E 08 1F 14 ss F7 (ss is the scene number in the range of 0 - 15)

liveact

2014-01-20 01:39:11

I have to say a big thank You, all of You!

The native mode in,and out are working well,and the Scene Change Request Sysex message is just fine!!!
I didn't have to go to native mode,just the Scene Change Request Sysex message was enough for chose the scenes.
I had to route the midi translator midi out the Padkontrol midi in to receive the Scene Change Request
and the Padkontrol midi out to the virtual midi in port in the ableton live to receive the midi notes from the korg.

You save a lot of time to me,
Thank You for the kindly very fast help!

Best wishes!