My Bomebox just arrived

sjcaldwell

2016-10-18 06:41:39

A little tricky getting things set up but works great.

Got my Bomebox today. Works great! Downloaded Midi Translater Pro project. Working with:

FCB-1010 foot controller through MIO midi to USB cable
Nord Stage 2 EX - USB
Alesis VI61 - USB
Roland A300-Pro USB
Hammond SK2 - Midi in

I'm using a 4 port powered USB Hub

Still need to test with my Korg Triton Extreme

A little confusing on the port naming but a little trial and error did the trick

For Hammond I didn't have it set up with my computer so had to create an alias pointing to virtual midi and then map it to my DIN
port when I moved the translater to the Bome Box.

Overall, I'm a pretty happy camper.

When I program my midi devices, I disconnect the hub from the Bome box and then reconnect to the PC to do the programming.
Would be nice to do the midi device programming directly from my computer but I don't really do that very much anyway.

florian

2016-10-18 11:28:51

Hi, thanks for reporting back to us! The MIDI port naming can be a little tricky, but the MIDI aliases can be very powerful if used appropriately. See also The Beauty of MIDI Port Aliases.
Florian

sjcaldwell

2016-10-18 16:20:05

Yes, read up on aliases so was pretty well prepared before my Bome box arrived.

Note, Since I'm only using a 4 port USB hub I will try my Triton Extreme through Midi Din using a Kenton USB Merge box which has 4 inputs and two separate outputs. Plan on selling my Triton Extreme otherwise I would probably get a USB hub with more ports.

Interesting enough. I don't seem to need to power the Bome Box with the micro USB power adapter. My powered hub seems to be providing enough juice. However if I run into problems, no trouble hooking up separate power. I'm not sure how much power the USB hub is providing. I did notice that my Alesis doesn't open port correctly unless I provide separate power, so it may have larger current draw than my USB hub can provide.

There is nothing in the documentation that says the attached powered USB hub can actually power the Bome Box. Am I looking for trouble here?

florian

2016-10-18 17:46:38

Powering the BomeBox from a powered USB is absolutely fine. It looks funny like a loopback :)We even took a photo.

A normal USB port can draw up to 500mA, you can check your USB hub how much amps it has and do the math. The BomeBox only needs approx. 150mA if no passive USB device is connected.

Florian

sjcaldwell

2016-10-18 17:50:18

florian wrote:Powering the BomeBox from a powered USB is absolutely fine. It looks funny like a loopback :)We even took a photo.

A normal USB port can draw up to 500mA, you can check your USB hub how much amps it has and do the math. The BomeBox only needs approx. 150mA if no passive USB device is connected.

Florian
Awesome!

sjcaldwell

2016-10-20 18:45:34

Actually, there is nothing plugged into my micro usb port or (or POE) as shown in your picture. It seems to be getting power directly to the USB A connection on the Bome box from the USB Hub

Power -> USB Hub ->(Getting power from here) Bomebox USB A connector in [ BOMEBOX ] -> Midi out connector
From USB HUB ----> 4 USB Midi Devices (input and output)

So it appears to be getting power directly from the output of the USB Hub

This is the hub device I have.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RE ... UTF8&psc=1

My setup
bomebox_power.jpg
bomebox_power.jpg (26.69 KiB) Viewed 3407 times
In the picture, the connector on the left lower corner is from power into the usb hub. The usb hub connector is then connected to the bomebox lower right hand corner. The 4 other USB connectors go to my Midi devices along with the Midi out connector.

florian

2016-10-21 00:31:33

Oops. A USB device (as opposed to the USB host) must never feed power back to the USB host, even if the USB host (the BomeBox in this case) does not provide power. I have heard of powered USB devices and hubs to exhibit this behavior, and they should not be used -- it can actually destroy parts or the entire USB host device. The BomeBox has provisions against such damage, but to play it safe, use another hub.
Florian

sjcaldwell

2016-10-21 00:44:06

So I cannot use that hub? Or I just have to also provide power to the micro usb connector?

I wonder if the hub will work unpowered and I can then just power it through the Bomebox?

florian

2016-10-21 01:31:27

it's a common malfunction found in some older hubs... so indeed, the safe way is to never power this hub anymore, and rather power the BomeBox through the micro USB connector (or PoE -- simple PoE injectors (48V) aren't expensive).
Thanks,
Florian