BomeBox/Timers

CreepyPants

2016-08-05 20:34:11

Do scripts with Timers work on the Box?

CreepyPants

2016-08-07 16:00:29

Okay, so #StupidN00BTricks volume 4,357:

[Note: Background info/blah blah blah is included because I'm dealing with ONE problem, y'all are dealing with many issues with many users, etc, etc, etc - so I like to keep data together.]

In another thread I was working on using Timers to do a time based thinning of controller data, because in using the MTPro on the computer, when I'd send fast changes of CC data to translate to a different channel & CC#, the timing of the MIDI note events would 'lag'.

So I created my own script, have yet to test the one DvlsAdvct suggested. My script worked okay, which basically (in my head) polled the specific controller every 200ms and sent that value, with an escape in case the value is 0 or 127 in which case it would send that value irrespective of the timer.

Then with the Box I wasn't experiencing the Timer based thinning - the controller values would not vary at all unless it was 0 or 127 coming in (hitting the escape routine in my script).

But all this may be moot:
I threw together a quick script to just translate the controller values directly, loaded that onto the Box and I do not experience lag in MIDI note events.

Summary:
When I send a bunch of controller data through a computer to MTPro, I get lag of other tracks experieced in MIDI note data (so notes happen off beat). When I do this same thing on the Box, I don't get the lag.

If this is the case, then the timer issue doesn't need to be resolved for me now.

tl;dr
Question:
Does this make sense - MIDI Data running through a computer would lag if there is a bunch of it in a short amount of time, but it would NOT lag filtering through the Box?

florian

2016-08-07 22:47:41

interesting findings!
  • timers work just the same on the BomeBox as on MT Pro on a computer
  • neither MT Pro nor the BomeBox should be responsible for lag. They can process millions of MIDI events per second.
  • On a computer, however, there are other factors which MT Pro cannot influence, like which MIDI drivers are used and what else is running on the computer, and where and how the (lagging) MIDI events are received.
Btw, it's usually a very good idea to attach your project file so that we can try to reproduce the issue.

Thanks,
Florian

CreepyPants

2016-08-08 18:37:41

This script works via MTPro (laptop) but not on BomeBox.

Fully understand it might be my newness to the Box, but I have routing/ports down (now that the DIN works - thought that problem was my stupidity). :)

Pretty sure this script just sends a Note On every 1sec to Channel 1, but MIDI Out indicator on BomeBox not lighting, nor is my synth receiving MIDI (based on the synth's MIDI info LED).
Attachments
MIDI OT Test 02 - TIMER Test (Note On).bmtp
(1004 Bytes) Downloaded 151 times

CreepyPants

2016-08-08 18:38:58

neither MT Pro nor the BomeBox should be responsible for lag. They can process millions of MIDI events per second.
On a computer, however, there are other factors which MT Pro cannot influence, like which MIDI drivers are used and what else is running on the computer, and where and how the (lagging) MIDI events are received.
Yeah, I'm finding that. :)
Because your software rocks!

florian

2016-08-08 20:58:40

your project never starts the timer. attached is an example how to start the timer when the project is loaded.
Attachments
MIDI OT Test 02 - TIMER Test (Note On) FB.bmtp
(1006 Bytes) Downloaded 158 times

CreepyPants

2016-08-10 06:05:07

Durrrr@me (again)
Really: I'll try to only make these mistakes once, k? :)

BUT - as usual - THANK YOU once again for your above/beyond support/assistance!

Had my first rehearsal with the troupe tonight and the Box performed swimmingly.
I'm terribly burnt out, but SO freakin excited about our next gig (September), which will be featuring quite a few MTPro scripts on the Box! Now that the little bits have been worked out, it's time to put them all together.

florian

2016-08-10 09:32:43

it's so much fun watching you make progress! Never hesitate to bring up anything.
Florian