Re: boot time
I agree that the BomeBox has an unexpectedly long boot time, but for anything non-network, it's just 15-20 seconds. I don't think that matters much in practice, because you don't need to do anything else after plugging in power (like entering password, start MT, configure anything else...). Also keep in mind that the BomeBox uses extremely little power, so you might just keep it running if you're bound to quick boot time.
And if using a laptop works just the same for you, then you should probably use it, because then you only need MT Pro and save the money for purchasing the BomeBox.
But, of course, the BomeBox has a few properties which makes it superior over a laptop, especially when used in live situations or on tour:
- much more robust: you can drop it, scratch it, etc.
- much smaller and lighter (176g)
- mobility: runs for days on a small cell phone power bank
- you or someone else cannot accidentally change the setup
- accidentally unplugging or power loss: just replug the BomeBox and after booting, it will work just as before
- cheaper than a laptop, easy to use multiple BomeBoxes
- Power over Ethernet
- two Ethernet plugs (mini switch) for daisy chaining
- works as WiFi router
- easy to backup/restore and clone BomeBox configurations
- none of the side effects of using a desktop OS, e.g.:
- driver problems
- unattended updates and reboots
- sleep mode
- other programs interfering (e.g. blocking MIDI ports)
- need to power down
I hope this sheds some light on the situation