Bulk Dumps to/from Synthesizer?

florian

2005-11-15 13:07:04

I recently got this request:

I AM VERY INTERESTED IN USING & PURCHASING THIS PROGRAM , BUT I DONOT KNOW HOW TO USE THE TRIAL VERSION, MY PURPOSE IS TO SAVE & LOAD SYSTEM EXCLUSIVE DATA FROM ROLAND D-50 SYNTH TO THE WINDOW -XP PC. PLEASE HELP ME TRY IT BEFORE I PURCHASE IT.

ALSO I HAVE SOMESYSTEM EXCLUSIVE FILES ON MY COMPUTER THAT I WOUOLD LIKE TO LOAD THEM IN THE SYNTH, PLEASE HELP TO TRY.

florian

2005-11-15 13:19:18

Here is some general advice:

1) read the README.TXT file that comes packaged with SendSX. It contains some information. It comes with some usage examples.

2) Make sure the MIDI connection is set up correctly:
- a cable from the Synth's MIDI OUT port to the computer's MIDI IN
- a cable from the Synth's MIDI IN port to the computer's MIDI OUT

3) Make sure you set up Send SX correctly:
- in the menu, choose MIDI IN and MIDI OUT with the MIDI ports where you connected the MIDI cables
Now playing on the synthesizer should result in hex codes to appear in the right Midi In window.
Simlarly, entering
90 40 7F
in the left Midi Out window and clicking the "Send" button should produce a note on the synth. You can stop it by editing the above to
90 40 00
and hit Send again.

4) Loading/Saving
SendSX loads and saves files in binary .syx format. This is a common format, but you may also get bulk dumps on the net or elsewhere in MIDI/.mid format. The latter cannot be read by SendSX, currently.

5) Storing the synth's memory on the computer
- Clear the right Midi In window
- on the synth itself, invoke the "Send Bulkdump" or "Dump Memory" or similar function. Usually this option can be found in the "settings", "menu", "utility" or similar mode.
- you should see the data appear in SendSX's right Midi In window.
- when everything arrived, use the File menu's "Save Midi In As..." function to save the memory dump to the computer.

6) Sending a bulk dump to the Synth
- use the File menu's "Open" function to open the .syx or .txt file.
- you should see the codes appear in the left Midi Out window.
- Hit Send.

7) Problems?
- be sure to use the latest version
- you can throttle the send speed -- try different settings
- if you can't figure it out, please post a new message to the forums

8) In future...
We're developing a tool that specializes in receiving and sending bulkd umps from MIDI devices. Stay tuned!

Hope that'll give you a quick start!
Florian

Kaminari

2005-11-24 13:06:39

florian wrote:We're developing a tool that specializes in receiving and sending bulk dumps from MIDI devices. Stay tuned!
Oh, I'm all excited! :mrgreen:

Kaminari

2005-11-25 13:37:54

Florian, I'm wondering -- will this new tool be able to receive bulks from synths like the Roland CM series which don't any manual dump function? That would be extremely handy.

florian

2005-11-25 15:31:29

oh yes, good idea! I'll put that on the feature request list
Florian

simonh

2007-10-14 22:16:32

I'm not sure whether I'm being stupid :oops:

I send the sys ex file, and sendSX appears to work - the midi out light on my audio interface lights and it says SYs Ex was sent succesfully, but the programs on my Korg are no different ?

Where do I look for the changes ? I'm on a microkorg.

Also when I play the korg there are no hex values in the midi in window. I'm new to this, having only had the korg a couple of days. Am I being dim ? :cry:

Thanks.

florian

2007-10-17 08:37:55

Hi Simon,

surely not. You probably just missing one little thing, e.g. selecting the MicroKorg as MIDI IN in SendSX, or connecting the right cables, etc.

Florian

Kaminari

2008-03-30 16:50:28

Hi Florian,

The function "Only Receive SysEx Messages" is very useful to capture sysex dumps from MT-32 games, but it's a bit tedious to use with games that change sysex (reverb, etc) on the fly between two songs. Let me explain.

When the function is activated, the synth is silent (even with MIDI Thru enabled) and it's sometimes difficult to know which song is playing in games like Superhero League of Hoboken (songs are played randomly on the map, and some of them have different sysex settings).

It would be more convenient if the "Only Receive SysEx" option could still transmit the music to the synth while only displaying the sysex in the MIDI-In panel (at least when MIDI Thru is enabled). Possible?

I'm asking this because I have a CM-500, not a MT-32 (thus no front panel to check what is transmitted).

Thanks in advance :)

florian

2008-04-04 10:55:39

Hi Kaminari,

I see what you mean. So you mean, MIDI THRU is unaffected by "Only SysEx"?

That can certainly be done, but requires some development. I'll put it down on the TODO list.

Note: if that is an option for you, we generally offer a "feature rush service" where we add a feature to a product immediately for a low flat fee.

Thanks,
Florian

Kaminari

2008-04-05 00:17:23

Florian, I'd be more than happy to financially contribute to SendSX. I'm using it so often that a postcard is not enough a reward IMHO. I don't mind paying a sort of registration fee -- as long as I can afford it :)

I'm currently in the process of monitoring a lot of sysex messages, and I would indeed appreciate such an option as soon as possible. How should I contact you?

florian

2008-04-06 11:08:07

Hi Kaminari,

thanks, I'll send you a private email and we'll discuss the specifics there.

Florian

Black

2010-01-23 16:02:06

florian wrote:I recently got this request:

I AM VERY INTERESTED IN USING & PURCHASING THIS PROGRAM , BUT I DON T KNOW HOW TO USE THE TRIAL VERSION, MY PURPOSE IS TO SAVE & LOAD SYSTEM EXCLUSIVE DATA FROM ROLAND D-50 SYNTH TO THE WINDOW -XP PC. PLEASE HELP ME TRY IT BEFORE I PURCHASE IT.

ALSO I HAVE SOME SYSTEM EXCLUSIVE FILES ON MY COMPUTER THAT I WOULD LIKE TO LOAD THEM IN THE SYNTH, PLEASE HELP TO TRY.
Hello!
I have the same problem with my Roland D-550. I want to load a sysex-dump into it, but it doesn´t work.
The synth shows always " *data transfer* * Bulk load* * waiting* while sending the dump data. After sending is done, it shows the same, and had nothing received.
It is connected by an MIDI to USB Interface . Input for this is MIDI-AudioDevice (2) ,at MIDI AudioDevice my KORG Legacy Controller is connected, but switched off.
When I send the code for a note action ( 90 40 7F), this is working, although note off action (90 40 00).

How about the settings for MIDI at the Synth, what is correct ? (MIDI Channel, B.CH, Sep CH) Omni is on ,SysEx is on.

Can you help, please?

Kaminari

2010-01-24 08:44:58

If you are sure the connection is working (which seems to be the case, since you can send individual note messages through your USB interface), then maybe the problem is related to the speed at which you send the bulk dump.

In SendSX, make sure that the option "Speed of sending MIDI" is not set higher than 3 kB/s (I personally recommend 1 kB/s). Most vintage synths are not capable of receiving bulk dumps faster than 3 kB/s without corrupting the data (buffer overflow).

Black

2010-01-24 10:14:25

At least I set the speed to minimum and it doesn´t work, too. It tried it again at 0.97 and that is not working.
While sending data, the Out LED of the Interface flashes. But MIDI Message LED on the synth is not on or flashing.
After sending code for note reply, LED is on, and after sending note off reply it goes off.

korgis

2010-05-25 20:37:23

Please for help,
When switching colors from the PC using the Korg T3 SendSX appears next
message 'Exsclusice dump received ...' and immediately afterwards' System error: div by 0 '' CB04 Address: 3A00. What is it
PS My English is very bad but here I try using the vocabulary

florian

2011-10-22 17:43:43

the typical problems are:
- faulty MIDI drivers -- you should update your MIDI drivers
- sending too fast for device -- you should configure Send SX to send slower (in the settings)
- broken MIDI cable

Regards,
Florian

robertbeattie

2012-03-28 23:43:34

hi and new to forum, needed a program to dump patches for saving to pc, using win 7 64, and got to bome. having great difficulty in working it. recieves fine but when trying to send back, it doesnt seem to be working. any help ? thanks - rob

florian

2012-04-12 11:46:06

Hi, have you checked the solutions above?
Regards,
Florian