Changing icon from command line causes freeze

davedoc

2007-11-14 21:43:03

I'm trying to use Restorator from the command line to change an icon. The command line I'm using is:

"C:\Program Files\Restorator 2007\restorator.exe" -errorLog c:\output.log -open <pathToMyExe>myFile.exe -assignOn "Icon\100\English (United States)" <pathToMyIcon>myIcon.ico -save -exit

When I use this command line Restorator starts up, opens the file and then freezes. At this point I can't even perform an End Process Tree from within Task Mgr. The only way to kill Restorator is to reboot the machine :(

After rebooting the machine I have a file myFile1.exe with the new icon. And, I do not have an output.log file to determine what went wrong.

Any ideas about what is causing the freeze?

florian

2007-11-15 16:55:50

Hi,

that sounds like a nasty problem! we've never experienced that. Especially the inability to kill it from the task manager makes me think that this is a problem outside of Restorator.

A few questions:
  • which version of Windows are you using?
  • can you patch that file's icon from Restorator's GUI?
  • have you tried patching without error log? the error log is written after patching the exe file, and since the patching apparently worked, possibly the error log caused the freeze? Do you have write access to C:\ ?
  • is myFile.exe particularly large or is it in use?
  • are you using a virus scanner or other program that constantly monitors file changes? If yes, try to disable it and then try to patch the file. Changing the icon might be an activity that virus scanners consider harmful.
Let us know...
Thanks,
Florian

davedoc

2007-11-16 08:25:01

# which version of Windows are you using?
WinXP Pro

# can you patch that file's icon from Restorator's GUI?
Yeah, I tried this after posting and had the same response...sort of. I discovered that it was taking a REALLY long time to save after setting a new icon. Like 45 min long

# have you tried patching without error log? the error log is written after patching the exe file, and since the patching apparently worked, possibly the error log caused the freeze? Do you have write access to C:\ ?
I only tried this with the log after I thought it was freezing up.

# is myFile.exe particularly large or is it in use?
Define large? It's an 80 meg setup.exe that is on a UNC path. That would slow it down some I imagine.

# are you using a virus scanner or other program that constantly monitors file changes? If yes, try to disable it and then try to patch the file. Changing the icon might be an activity that virus scanners consider harmful.
Like I said above, it works. It just takes an inordinate amount of time

florian

2007-11-16 12:05:01

davedoc wrote:Define large? It's an 80 meg setup.exe that is on a UNC path. That would slow it down some I imagine.
OK, I guess that explains some slowness... I would say, 80MB is large, compared to average .exe file size.

We have tested Restorator extensively with UNC paths, and we did not experience any performance problems.

Questions:
  • in the GUI, during those 45 minutes, does the progress bar increase continuously, or is it at 100% quickly?
    if it increases continuously, it's likely that the slow performance is due to the network (i.e. most of the wait time is network wait time)
  • have you tried mapping a network drive and opening the same file with a Windows drive letter path?
    If this improves performance, this might be a viable work-around, since you can connect network drives from the command line, too.
  • could you try copying the file to your local drive and see if patching the icon there takes a long time, too?
Thanks for cooperating with me to find the root cause of this problem.

Regards,
Florian