Need some HELP

IncaDeCuzco

2007-10-18 03:46:58

I am not sure this type of question is appropriate here but anyway.
I have .dll file that has to be localized from English to Japanese. Everything has been going well so far, good job Restorator!
The new version of software I am working with came with new type of resource in .dll which is called BINARY. When you open Restorator and then folder BINARY of that .dll file, you will see 2 files: IDU_DEFAULT PALETTES.xml and IDU_XLS TEMPLATE.res. Both cannot be edited directly in Restorator.
Searching the WEB, I have found out that the .res file is actually used by the program and .xml file serves as a source or something for that file.
Question: Is there any way to modify that .res file? I could extract .xml open it with some other program and then try to convert to appropriate .res to compile back into existing .dll. (?)
Any help will be greatly appreciated. Or, if you consider this as a lack of skill rather than some issue concerning Restorator, just ignore this message. I am not a programmer.

Thanks.
Victor

florian

2007-10-23 21:16:44

Hi Victor,

sorry for the late reply.

Restorator can edit .res files. So you can extract the .res file to disk and then open it right away with Restorator again, this time as if it was a .exe or .dll file. After editing and saving the .res file, drag it back onto the resource where the .res file came from (i.e. assign it).

Let us knwo how that works.

Thanks,
Florian

IncaDeCuzco

2007-10-24 03:18:16

Hi Florian,

Does Restorator support UTF-8 for DLL files? I have XML file in Japanese which has to be converted to UTF-8 and then compiled back into DLL.

Thanks.
Victor

florian

2007-10-24 08:17:03

currently, Restorator does not support UTF-8 to 100% in its own editor. It does support it for extracting/assigning. So similar as for .res files, I suggest extracting the XML resource to a folder, edit it with a text editor like UltraEdit (or if preferred, a specialized XML editor), and then assign it back to the resource in Restorator.

Adding support for UTF-8 and Unicode in Restorator's built-in editor is one of the features we target for a future release.

Regards,
Florian