Opening associated file types doesn't work anymore

NoNameNeeded

2007-10-12 19:17:17

When I right-click a dll file I can normally choose Restorator to open it with.
But not anymore, I don't know what happened but it doesn't work because Restorator isn't shown in the list of available programs (in the open with-dialog).
Even if I then click on browse in order to select the program manually (which seems to work) the program still isn't shown in the list and therefore can't be selected.

Initially I thought this could be a problem related to Windows, but as every other program can be selected that can't be the case.

Also the file associations in Restorator are set correctly, so this can't be the problem either....

P.S. Opening a file within Restorator is no problem.

florian

2007-10-17 08:30:39

Hmm, I haven't experienced this issue.
In Restorator's "edit file associations" window, you can try to disable "context menu" for all programs, then close Restorator, restart Restorator, and enable the context menu for the programs you like. Also re-installing Restorator may be a good idea.

Let us know if any of that worked.

Thanks,
Florian

NoNameNeeded

2007-10-19 15:38:17

In Restorator's "edit file associations" window, you can try to disable "context menu" for all programs, then close Restorator, restart Restorator, and enable the context menu for the programs you like.
I have already tried that --> didn't work.
Also re-installing Restorator may be a good idea.
I can't because I can't find the installation file anymore.

florian

2007-10-23 21:31:28

I'll send you a new download link for the installation files.

Regards,
Florian

NoNameNeeded

2007-10-31 20:14:00

Thanks, now it works a little bit better.
I now have an "Open with Restorator" entry in the context menu (and it works) but when I go to "open with..." and choose the program manually it still isn't listed in the dialog box and therefore I can't open files with Restorator this way.

It's really strange....

FreeBee

2007-11-01 22:01:03

Hello NoNameNeeded,

Usually, if the program I want to open a certain file with isn't available in the "open with" menu, I simply click the "Browse" button at the bottom of the menu, and search for the .exe file in its installation folder. So you would "Browse" and then go to the "C:\Program Files\.....\Restorator\ directory, and select Restorator.exe from there.

That should always work... Next time, Restorator.exe will be back in the list of selectable programs automatically, because Windows has then learned that this is also an acceptable program to open the file with.

I hope this helps you.

Regards,
FreeBee.

NoNameNeeded

2007-11-02 16:23:09

Usually, if the program I want to open a certain file with isn't available in the "open with" menu, I simply click the "Browse" button at the bottom of the menu, and search for the .exe file in its installation folder. So you would "Browse" and then go to the "C:\Program Files\.....\Restorator\ directory, and select Restorator.exe from there.
Thx for the tip but that is exactly the problem. It just doesn't work.
I can manually select Restorator.exe (the way you suggested) but it is not added to the list of programs.

florian

2007-11-02 18:51:27

really weird. I just did that and it works just like FreeBee explained... Seems something's broken with your Windows installation? Does it work with other programs?

Florian

NoNameNeeded

2007-11-06 00:47:08

Seems something's broken with your Windows installation? Does it work with other programs?
I don't think this is the case since it works flawlessly with other programs.

FreeBee

2007-11-06 18:20:03

Ok, I was about to suggest reïnstalling Restorator, but you've already done that.

I'm now beginning to suspect that your registry is a little (a lot) messed up in some freaky way that only affects Restorator. I know how weird that sounds, but similar things have happened.
If you haven't tried running some registry cleaning tools yet, I'd suggest you do. And if you have, I'd suggest you try to find a different cleaner to do it again. There are at least half a dozen of them with varying methods and rates of success. But running two different ones should be enough.

If that doesn't help either, I fear there will be little left but reïnstalling windows... I don't like to suggest that, though, because I know how aweful that is. Good luck, friend!

NoNameNeeded

2007-11-10 16:35:25

I was able to fix it.
As I said, uninstalling or cleaning the registry (automatically, using TuneUp Utilities) didn't do the trick so I deleted everything related to Restorator manually (even bomerst.ax and that kind of entries) and now it works again the way it's supposed to but it's a pity that the uninstaller doesn't do that by himself.

FreeBee

2007-11-12 20:37:47

Hi,

So it WAS something in the registry as I suspected :) I'm glad you got out of that mess. Ok, you did it manually, but I hope you understand that not everyone is capable of doing that. That's why I suggested a different cleaner. As I said, I know you tried uninstalling, but I haven't seen any previous message saying that you tried any cleaners. Maybe I missed something?

Under normal circumstances I use Registry Mechanic myself, and usually that's good enough. But it also misses a lot, which most of the time doesn't matter. With some programs, however, these missed entries are the things that cause problems. Then I simply download any other registry cleaner for a trial, and after that everything is fine again.

Different people, different problems, and different solutions :D

Ok, this isn't about Restorator anymore, we're straying too far from topic.
End of discussion, as far as I'm concerned.

Congrats on getting it to work again.

florian

2007-11-15 10:26:04

Hi NoNameNeeded,
glad you solved the problem! Restorator's uninstaller does remove all entries that it made in the registry. Restorator keeps a list what it actually installed, in the registry. It seems that your registry corruption also caused Restorator to "forget" what it had installed. That, in turn, may have caused problems when reinstalling Restorator so that it couldn't get fixed.

Anyway, I'll double check the uninstaller code to see if it's possible that Restorator completely removes all its entries.

Regards,
Florian