Localization with foreign character sets

maxwizards

2007-06-28 20:26:58

Hello,

i really like restorator 2007, it is very cool :) I'm very happy of my purchase :)

I do have some questions for you, as i'm not very familiar with special character sets...
I am in the need to localize an english .exe to Japanese.
And i do not really know how to proceed...i've check the tutorials but they showcase how to do it to German...
The problem i have with Japanese, is that whatever the type of editor i use (Rich Text or default) whenever i hit save the Japanese characters becomes "?"

I do not want the .exe to be multi-languages...i just need to do a separate copy that is in Japanese.

thanks for any help you could provide on this matter.

/Laurent

florian

2007-07-02 14:04:45

Restorator, and some resources, use 8-bit character sets. Text needs to be translated to the correct Unicode characters. You can set this conversion "policy" in the settings as the Codepage. In order to correctly display the Japanese characters, choose Rich Text, and set a text editor font which lets you choose a Japanese "Script" (in the font chooser).

We're working on better Unicode support in Restorator which would auto-recognize other character sets.

You must make sure that your system is prepared for Japanese characters, you should be able to do that in the Control Panel, "Regional and Language Settings", under the tab "Languages", you need to check "complex script support" and install files for East Asian languages. Also, make sure that on the Advanced tab, you select all the Japanese code pages.

I hope that helps!
Regards,
Florian

maxwizards

2007-07-07 03:58:30

well i still can't have this to display something else than ????

Sometimes, if i do a copy-paste from the Character Map (and only in that case) i manage to paste in the editor a Japanese character.
But whenever i save it always revert to ????

I have done each steps you mentioned and i still can't figure out how to move along with this...

Are you able to get this to work in Japanese ?
I'm just trying to be able to localize the menu of an application...and i thought Restorator could be THE tool for the job...

any help will truly be appreciated.

/Laurent

florian

2007-07-08 00:04:06

Hmm, you should really be able to do this on a machine which is enabled for Japanese characters. I haven't tried with Japanese right now, but I've had good results with Korean, which should be somewhat similar.

You may try to set your computer's default language and locale to Japanese and let Restorator use the default code page and locale.

Regards,
Florian

IncaDeCuzco

2007-10-18 03:18:31

Restorator works perfectly with Japanese as much as I can judge having been worked with it for more than year.