ethical issues

blehjutsu

2006-03-04 00:39:45

Hmm... considering Restorator is a program that helps you *steal* resources from other ppl... don't know how the author can be so blase about people having to pay for it... anyway... its (un)fortunate that its easy enough to bypass the trial period... x_X.

blehjutsu

2006-03-04 00:56:00

One more thing...
http://www.bome.com/Restorator/Restorat ... l_1534.exe

If u navigate to this link you get a 403 forbidden... but if u save it... you get to download the file.. WTF... not much security huh....

Why is the file hosted on the home site!?

blehjutsu

2006-03-04 01:13:48

Do something to protect your software!!!

http://www.bome.com/Restorator/Restorat ... l_1534.exe
You're not allowed to access this document!
Welcome at bome.com.

It is likely that your access was forbidden because you are coming from a site that offers cracks or serial numbers/license keys.

Distributing and/or using cracks or stolen serial numbers/license keys is illegal in most countries and not tolerated by bome.com.

bome.com has real expenses for running its business, leasing the download servers, operating the support, and, last but not least, developing the software. We do everything we can to prevent illegal use of Restorator and therefore we restrict downloads from our servers by illegal users.
Forbidden?? "We do everything we can"? Errr... not really... anyway... I dont know if I should post here... but what are you gonna do about ppl cracking your software!!??

My suggestions
1. Have a website only based registration mechanism instead of an offline one - It makes it a bit harder to ":oops:".
2. Have a mechanism where you can "authenticate" the registration information of users. Does this amount to spyware? In a sense maybe.. but its your hard work on the line. A small check that invalidates people using cracked software.

And as for the *cracked* versions floating around... well... they work fine dude. At least some of them do.

I do freelance research into various security protocols / encryptions... I dont know... maybe we can come up with some way of protecting your intellectual property better. This program is so good it is unfair to see it being pirated :(.

Critical question: Am I using such a version? Yes. Please stop me. Do something. You have obviously put in a lot of hard work into this. Don't let people treat you like a door mat.

florian

2006-03-04 10:04:38

Hi blehjutsu,

fact is:
no protection of the world can protect me against other people pirating my software. Latest "idea" in the game is to just use stolen credit card numbers and purchase a license with that, then pass around that license. That all those people are committing crimes doesn't seem to worry them.

fact is:
I stopped worrying about cracks. I do just enough to inform people who are not aware that software needs to be payed.

fact is:
There are people who don't steal. That's how I make my living.

ergo:
I stopped wasting my time to stop crackers and criminals. I rather spend my time developing software.

Replies to your questions:
considering Restorator is a program that helps you *steal* resources from other ppl... don't know how the author can be so blase about people having to pay for it
Restorator's main purpose is not to "steal" resources. Of course, people can steal resources with Restorator, but they can steal files with Windows Explorer just the same. Restorator is a powerful tool that allows you to increase your productivity, streamline software development, etc. That's what people are paying money for. There is no "ethical issue" here. Everybody is responsible for himself to not break the law.
If u navigate to this link you get a 403 forbidden
Yes, I did configure my webserver to display the Forbidden page when people come from known websites offering illegal cracks. That's not a "security measure", it's a warning for people who don't know what they're doing.
Why is the file hosted on the home site!?
As everything on bome.com, Restorator is hosted on bome.com. There is no affiliation with home.com -- except maybe by your eye sight? :)
Have a website only based registration mechanism
I am tired of software that invades the user's privacy. It annoys the legitimate users, and will not stop the cheapos to continue their illegal business. It's particularly amusing that you are proposing such a scheme :)

Thanks for your time...
Florian