Restorator makes Vista go crazy

Matti

2007-02-17 16:02:30

Hello!

First of all: I really like Restorator! I've used the trial on XP for a short time, but since I switched to Vista I wanted to get Restorator back. However, it turned out very badly...

When I installed the trial, everything looked normal and I could perfectly use Restorator. But, when I tried to click an item in the Start menu, it won't start! I tried to reboot, and none of my startup programs could initialize. Instead of that, it gave me an error that the file extension wasn't associated. So, as suggested by my dad, I backed up my files and re-created my account. There, everything worked again... until I ran Restorator again! It gave me the same symptoms: the .lnk's and .dll's won't work and I had to start everything with the Run command. I then uninstalled Restorator and amazingly, everything worked again. :shock:

This is a very weird problem, so I hope someone can tell me what I could to to make it work without this annoying problem.

Thanks in advance!

Specifications:
Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Restorator 2007 Build 1709 Trial

florian

2007-02-20 11:24:00

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear this problem. We had run a quick test on Vista and all looked fine. We'll look into this issue further and work on it.

It is possible that you can get rid of the problem by going to "Tools|Edit File Associations" in the menu, and there, click "Assoc. None" and "Context None", then OK. Like that you won't be able to start Restorator by double clicking .res files, or by using the right-click context menu in the explorer, but it shouldn't have the side effects you've experienced.

Let us know how it works,
thanks,
Florian