is it possible to...

kurtr2

2013-10-28 17:34:01

Is it possible to program a midi button push that will (through Bomes) change the midi channel of a keyboard controller?

DvlsAdvct

2013-10-28 20:32:58

Hi kurtr2

Yes, this is possible. You will need to assign a button to do so, and create a translator to act as a pass-through for the keyboard so we can change the channel. Do you want to increase the channel, toggle between two different ones, move up and down with two different buttons?

Thanks
J

kurtr2

2013-10-28 22:48:43

ah, thank you J,

yes i would like to have four buttons each outputing on a different channel exclusively, with keyboard coming in on channel 1, for example. so i have 4 midi tracks in Live and depending on which button i press midi data from keyboard would address one and only one of those channels.

thanks!

Kurt

kurtr2

2013-10-30 00:18:36

can you tell me how to do this?

thanks,
k

DvlsAdvct

2013-10-30 04:00:38

Easy to do. You will need two translators. The first one will set a global variable based on what button is pressed to set the outgoing channel in the second translator. I am going to assume you want to change it from Channel 1 to Channels 2-5, and will use the variable assignment to do this. Keep in mind that rules use Decimal, whereas the incoming and outgoing messages are coded in Hex. If you want to find out what the decimal value of your MIDI note is, just use the Help menu in your translator. It should look something like:

Code: Select all

Translator 1: Set Channel
Incoming Signal: 90 pp 7F
Rules: if pp==50 then ga=145
if pp=51 then ga=146
if pp==52 then ga=147
if pp==53 then ga=148
Outgoing Signal: None

Translator 2: Keyboard
Incoming signal: 90 qq rr
Rules: None
Outgoing Signal: ga qq rr
This is pretty straight forward. What happens is the incoming keyboard signal comes in (anything from the keys should send out on 90 qq rr) and translates it to the value set by what button was pressed in the previous translator. Does that make sense?

kurtr2

2013-10-30 04:12:37

ah ok so the first incoming signal is whichever button and could be one of 5 incoming cc's which will then change ga which is the midi channel that the keyboard is translated to... is your incoming signal a 90 signal because you were using your keyboard as an input for this example?

thanks i think i understand....

k

kurtr2

2013-10-30 04:45:39

DvlsAdvct wrote:Easy to do. You will need two translators. The first one will set a global variable based on what button is pressed to set the outgoing channel in the second translator. I am going to assume you want to change it from Channel 1 to Channels 2-5, and will use the variable assignment to do this. Keep in mind that rules use Decimal, whereas the incoming and outgoing messages are coded in Hex. If you want to find out what the decimal value of your MIDI note is, just use the Help menu in your translator. It should look something like:

Code: Select all

Translator 1: Set Channel
Incoming Signal: 90 pp 7F
Rules: if pp==50 then ga=145
if pp=51 then ga=146
if pp==52 then ga=147
if pp==53 then ga=148
Outgoing Signal: None

Translator 2: Keyboard
Incoming signal: 90 qq rr
Rules: None
Outgoing Signal: ga qq rr
This is pretty straight forward. What happens is the incoming keyboard signal comes in (anything from the keys should send out on 90 qq rr) and translates it to the value set by what button was pressed in the previous translator. Does that make sense?

so when you say if pp=50-53 this is referring to the incoming midi cc. and ga=145-148: is that specifying a midi channel?

DvlsAdvct

2013-10-30 05:00:52

Precisely. The 50-53 is the value of whatever button you're pressing, the 145-148 translates to 91-94 in Hex, instead of 90 being Note On Channel 1

The only other question I had was related to your keyboard. When you release the key, does it send a 80 message, or a 90?