'Tempering' Touch Sensitivity via Foot Pedal.

JAS

2013-09-11 21:47:41

Dear Readers and Developers,

I feel I have invented a new concept that might be of use to players of electronic music keyboards in particular. Firstly, I'd like to say that I'm particularly interested in new features that can be made possible through electronic/MIDI controller keyboards, rather than considering these instruments merely a 'substitute' for acoustic equivalents (pianos, organs, etc).

My idea is a system to enable a pressure sensitive (sprung or weighted) MIDI foot pedal to control the degree of touch sensitivity data from the keyboard manual that is translated to note velocities in (live) performance.

Allow me to clarify by giving a practical application...

When performing certain (e.g. awkard or fast) passages of music that are difficult to play with an even tone, it would be useful to be able to reduce the amount of touch sensitivity data being translated to velocity data by pressing down a foot pedal.

One example would be:

1. You see a tricky passage of notes or chords,
2. You press the foot 100% down to play it all with the same attack velocity (as the last note before the pedal is pressed down),
3. You can release the foot pedal according to where more expression is required.

However, this pedal is not an on/off switch: you can control the degree of touch sensitivity to be included, giving full control. So it allows you to include touch sensitivity to a greater or lesser extent. If the pedal is pressed 100% down, the attack pressure of the last played note ~before the pedal goes down~ would determine the velocity (and thus audible volume) of the succeeding notes (i.e. it simply remains unchanged). At 90% down, then, only 10% of the touch sensitivity data is translated to velocity data influencing volume, and so forth.

It might be possible via a software feature to provide a smooth average 'tone' across several notes as an optional extra. I suppose this could be used to control other velocity-controlled envelopes too.

Kind Regards,

JAS

DvlsAdvct

2013-09-18 16:07:58

Hi JAS

Actually, you can do this with MT, as long as your footpedal sends MIDI. You can use the position of the pedal to control the range of MIDI velocity your application will receive. :)

It takes some math and creative rules, but it's definitely doable.

J

JAS

2013-09-19 16:38:10

Thanks! The programming is where I'd fail unfortunately. It would be great if Bome or someone here were interested. I only want to use the thing really as I'd find it very useful.

JAS

2013-09-19 16:43:30

P.S. Would it be possible to send two sets of MIDI data from the keyboard... one with velocity data and the other without velocity data... then use the MIDI foot pedal to mix between the two?

When I say mix, I mean the MIDI data, to find an average of the two. This then would trigger the appropriate samples, or affect the volume envelope of the virtual instrument.

Thanks

DvlsAdvct

2013-09-19 16:48:15

Well, if you want help, we can work together on the forum to develop the preset you want, but we'd move it to the General Discussion forum :) That's why we're here, obviously.

And you can average two different positional states to change the output message, definitely. I've worked on some projects like that with friends to average states and move positions and all that. Just let us know what you want it to do and what your ideal is, and we can either work on the forum or over Skype :)

Thanks
J