Korg ER-1 to Ableton Newb Question

smbenn

2012-09-26 13:15:17

Hi All

I got to this point via https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php ... 8&p=442452. I set it up as instructed and early tests indicate that it works brilliantly. What a fantastic controller for Ableton Drum kits!

My question is why the need for MIDIYoke? At the moment the set up is external MIDI --> Bome Translator --> MIDI Yoke --> Ableton. Can I not just set a (which one?) Bome channel as Remote input in Ableton? Sorry if this is a obvious question.

Thanks
Si

DvlsAdvct

2012-09-26 15:26:31

You don't need MIDI Yoke. That is a VERY old post, and since then Florian has added Virtual MIDI Ports to MIDI Translator. All you have to do is activate them in your MIDI settings and you can just use those.

Let me know if you need any other help
J

smbenn

2012-09-26 15:37:51

Fantastic mate, will check it out tonight. Thanks for the quick update, Si.

smbenn

2012-09-29 11:49:10

DvlsAdvct wrote:Let me know if you need any other help
OK, help required please! I did the following:

1. Remove MIDIYoke from system
2. In BOME Midi Translator Pro selected the Output port as Bome's Midi Translator 1 Virtual Out (this also set the Output alias (open) to the same port)
3. In Ableton, under Input ports I get 2 Bome's port: 6-Bome's Midi Translator 1 (I set this to Track and Remote On), and Bome's Midi Translator 1 (when I set Remote to this it goes orange though indicating all is not well.)

Either way I just get CC6 for every controller which means no translation is occurring. (I had previously loaded the ER1 mapping table in Bome MT.)

Help!

smbenn

2012-09-29 15:45:32

Hold the phone, it might have been my soundcard playing up! Looks better now ...

smbenn

2012-10-02 00:30:52

OK, the good news was that the soundcard was playing up and it now works perfectly. MIDI Ext In (ER1) --> MT Pro --> 6-Bome's Midi Translator 1 --> Ableton.

Only question now is will the Classic version of Bome's MT work? There seems to be an output channel (5-Bome's Midi Translator 1) but it doesn't seem to appear as an input MIDI port in Ableton (the MT Pro does appear though - I have both MT versions installed).

Thanks for your help
Si

smbenn

2012-10-04 11:26:18

Bump - can someone please confirm whether I need the pro version specifically for what I'm doing?

Thanks
Si

DvlsAdvct

2012-10-04 21:56:20

Hi smbenn

Sorry for the delay.

Classic doesn't come with virtual MIDI ports. As of now the only way to use them is with the Pro version. If you use Classic you'll have to use MIDI Yoke.

J

smbenn

2012-10-04 22:05:00

Great thanks DvlsAdvct sorry for chasing. In that case will buy Pro as it's a good thing. Sorted.

firionicable

2012-10-10 04:57:59

It looks like buying the Pro version will definitely solve this case on my end. Image