ohmage midi cabling

Muziekschuur

2012-09-12 18:32:03

What ohmage are midi cables. I checked some home made midi cables (got me a bucketload of amphenol screw 5 pin connectors... ) and some thin microphone wire. I checked the cables with the UM-880 (has a cable checker build in. (plug cable in 1 in and 1 out and press the check knob. Three lights on the first row will glow constant to let you know it's sending and receiving if it's blinking one of the three wires is loose) .

I purchased 4 new 2 meter cables. But I wonder if my old cables are ok or not. If not it could be a wrong ohmage cable... But I dunno... My Tascam DM24 should do HUI but I cannot seem to get it going. My SI-24 does work over the UM880....

DvlsAdvct

2012-09-12 18:42:03

If it's not the cables, could it be the DM24 MIDI ports themselves? Or some setting that preventing it from sending HUI? Is it sending anything?

As a note, there's only so much help I, or we here, can give on this. We'll do what we can, though.

Muziekschuur

2012-09-12 18:56:53

I've used Midi-ox. And yes, it's sending mesages... But maybe it's dropping something. Because both the HUI and the Logic Controll start out with a handshake I assume...

Muziekschuur

2012-09-12 18:57:57

Thank you for getting back to me that fast .... It is a small forum... But I allways get the right info here... It's lovely...

DvlsAdvct

2012-09-12 19:23:25

That's what we try to pride ourselves on :)

Well, it might need to receive a message to enter HUI mode, instead of sending raw MIDI. Is there anything in the manual? Maybe a sysex message?

Muziekschuur

2012-09-13 01:55:40

Nope. Checked it carefully.

By the way I am the old moderator of Tascamforums.com. So I followed the discussion closely. My DM24 used to be paired with a HD24 and lived in a flightcase on the road.

DvlsAdvct

2012-09-13 05:41:53

Oh, well, fair enough then. I'll shut up about that :)

Is MT receiving MIDI messages as MIDI Ox sees them?

Muziekschuur

2012-09-15 23:56:50

New cables seem to give me a solution. I'm having a blast in Protools 7.4 I now have two HUI controllers and the way they behave in the software is very good. I can bank in banks of 16 and I can move the 16 faders a channel at once. So if I'm at 14 to 30 I can move those 16 faders to 15 to 31 with one knob.... Now that's nice.

But using ACT in Sonar is not like i'd like it. But perhaps some effort on my side can make a difference. Ha well at least I now know my setup is working like intended. Now I gotta make the system work wit Sonar...

I'm having a blast using OMF between three DAW's here. Believe it or not. But Emagic Logic 5.3 works on Windows 7 64 bits.... It's unbelievable. And it's fast.... Ha. Now maybe I can even get my Tascam working as a second SI24.... Now wouldn't that be a blast. Or would the Logic controll work with the Mackie Controll to Hui template.... Hmmmm.... Let's see...

There is by the way a thingy I gotta learn too. How to measure the ohmage of a cable. Because my cables (thin microphone cable using old amphenol connectors (really really expensive stuff by the way) checked out fine on my UM880 (wich has a cable tester). But don't work... Where my new cables DO work... Ah.... should check them for a flipped pair.... RIGHT....