Running multiple instances of MT Pro

TabSel

2011-12-22 11:16:33

I tried running multiple instances of MT Pro:

I copied the .exe to copy.exe, created a shortcut to start this copy.exe with its dedicated project and ran it.
Then, I started MT Pro (the original .exe) and I got a message that a .dll is already in use and that it gets overwritten, or something similar...

I thought, that it wasn't possible to run multiple instances of MT Pro?

Now, is it possible, or isn't it? If so, how? And what about this dll in use message?

DvlsAdvct

2011-12-26 03:29:59

As far as I know there is no way to run two instances of MT Pro at the same time. I can check with Florian, but I get that same message, and only the first instance I was running continues communicating.

TabSel

2011-12-26 10:03:33

I copied the whole program folder, renamed the exe, created a bmts and a bmtp, made sure that only One instance ran the mtkeyin.dll, deleted the file in each other folder...

Works well here without this error message...

makerprofaze

2012-01-03 22:46:28

I believe the MTKey may be the QWERTY interface. I never thought of deleting it after copying the folder, but running mulitple .exes should be no problem as long as you rename them and use different MIDI ports (win anyway).

TabSel

2012-01-04 12:06:21

yes, the MTKEyIn.dll is necessary to intercept Key Input.
It is always loaded by MidiTranslator.exe, if found. As it is a "single instance" dll, you get a message when it is loaded by two or more MidiTranslator.exes...

I consider this a bug, or design flaw: In a MidiTranslator Setup, you can disable Key In and Out actions. If these both are disabled, there is no need to load that dll, or the dll could be unloaded when both are disabled after the app started with on of these enabled.

If you delete this dll, it can't be loaded by the MT.exe and MT.exe doesn't fire an error popup, thank god ;)

However, I'd find it way better if ONE MidiTranslator.exe would be able to host multiple projects with an independent global variables set...

florian

2012-05-19 14:19:08

Hi TabSel,

I agree with all the above. Another way (the planned way) is to make the DLL multi-process capable, i.e. you can run multiple instances of MT and they all work with Keystroke Input.

Running multiple "engine" instances will probably only become a feature of the player.

Regards,
Florian