Bome's MIDI Server

makerprofaze

2011-10-03 06:33:50

I just want to know how it is that BMT is smart enough to reconnect to USB MIDI devices when they're re-plugged in, even initializing devices not connected when the program was run? This may be normal on Mac, but - on XP (I don't know about Vista/7) and before, "most" software Win apps needed to be re-run to initialize a device from startup (actually pretty much ALL I've ever used, with MY hardware/configs anyway).
And here I've been closing/re-running BMT like I used to do with MIDIOx as my MIDI server if a USB cable got yanked from the port or I forgot to plug something in but already had the program open.. This is yet another reason to own BMT. It's not only MIDI translator of data from outside devices, it's also a smarter manager of these devices. All my hardware only talks to BMT, and all my DAW/audio apps get their MIDI from BMT/virtual ports - match made in heaven.

florian

2011-10-22 17:02:56

Hi,

well said! I couldn't sell this advantage of Midi Translator in any better way :)

To answer, it is because we know the requirements of a software for live usage... on stage, murphy's lurking everywhere and somebody tripping over a USB cable can happen any time.
So we've spent a lot of time programming, fine tuning, and testing, to make it work seamlessly.

Internally, when you unplug a device that is currently in use, a lot of care is taken to not crash (which easily happens on Windows). Then that device is remembered as "pending". Whenever you re-plug a device, MT checks if that device is "pending", and if yes, it opens it for immediate usage. When closing MT, all "open" or "pending" devices are remembered, too, for when you restart MT the next time.

Thanks,
Florian

PS: we also offer a cross platform MIDI SDK for software developers to take advantage of Bome's MIDI technology

makerprofaze

2011-10-23 22:48:21

Pure Genius.

This should be mandatory for all MIDI (USB) software - studio or stage.
The MT SDK should be be in use as much as the ASIO SDK. How has the (Win) industry overlooked this functionality?

I think when people ask me what software I use I'm going to have to say MT first.