Failed to open MIDI IN Device ...

Wurlitzer

2011-08-06 14:20:12

Hello all,

i used a korg nano kontrol. Now i don't using it for the next time.
I deleted all nano kontrol entries in project settings an global setting.
But i get this message every time i start MT Pro.

Please help

THX
Wurlitzer
Attachments
nano-error.PNG
nano-error.PNG (74.18 KiB) Viewed 7055 times

DeRoc

2011-08-06 17:03:12

Check in your MT Midi Ports list and look for a duplicated name with a number tacked on the end like "nanoKontrol SLIDER/KNOB 2".
I've had problems with this and also the nanoKEYBOARD.

I think the Korg drivers, for some reason, replicate in the (Windows) registry and become the default drivers. Then you have to assign that new one in your MT ports list. Then some day it'll disappear and you reassign back to the original port name.

The problem hasn't occurred for me in a while now; never really learned why it happens.
But I DID learn to backup a working copy before deleting any ports in MT; taking out a wrong one can cause the newly saved program to become un-openable with the "Wrong format" error.

related links:
http://bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2793#p7213
http://bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3344#p8298

florian

2011-09-14 21:32:51

MT remembers the devices that you've had used and will try to re-open them on next start of the program. This is particularly useful for live situations when you have to reboot or so.

If MT does not detect a MIDI device that used to be open, it marks the device "pending" and waits for it to appear. Also this feature is very useful for live situations: when you unexpectedly unplug a (USB) device, you can just plug it in again and MT will continue using it.

Now the way to "remove" a stale device is to make MT close the device. The state will go from "pending" to "unplugged". And when you start MT the next time, the "unplugged" device will be gone in the list.

To close a device:
- Windows: uncheck it in the Settings window
- OS X: double-click it in any MIDI port list

Hope that helps!
Florian

carrosytrenes

2011-09-23 01:12:33

any idea why this would all of a sudden happen on OSX? i've been using this with my ableton setup for a year+.

only thing that has changed is i changed my audio interface. otherwise everything is plugged in exactly as it was before.

hoping i can figure this out soon... i am leaving on tour for europe in four days...... this is the last thing i need, i won't be able to play.

florian

2011-10-22 17:29:42

Hi, on OSX, it works the same. If, for whatever reason, the MIDI port name changes, MT will try forever to open a device by name which does not exist anymore.

On OSX, you close a device by double clicking it in any MIDI list. In particular, do that for all devices marked "pending". When it says "closed" or "unplugged" you should be fine.

Regards,
Florian