midi default Project/Preset not working(solved!)

Sakis

2011-05-09 01:15:17

New to MT and I really like the "on specific port(s)" feature but it's just not working...
After some hours(actually too many)! ,I came to the conclusion that midi INs do not work no matter if I select them in project/preset properties or even select the "on specific port(s)"...the only way is to activate them thru the "setup MIDI port and Port Aliases"...Same with midi out although MT shows that it translates and outputs the signal....
I admit that it's the first time I haven't read a manual!But shouldn't the IN/OUTS be always active(if selected in project/preset properties) or the opposite and select them when wanted on the "specific port" tab?
Also the virtual midi ports do not work on other programs such us Reaper and VSTHost...(EDIT:they work only as output and only MT receives signals)
I use the MT 1.71 1258 built with windows XPx86 SP3 with some services disabled,and also installed MYokeNT...
Some help needed plz!

florian

2011-05-11 10:48:01

Hi Sakis,

sorry for the problems with the specific ports. I'm not sure what happens, they usually work just as advertized...
And of course, this is a complicated issue: while we try to make it as easy as possible for the user, the MIDI support in Midi Translator is quite advanced and inevitably requires some learning to fully leverage it.

MIDI PORT SETUP WINDOWS:
Selecting a port in a) a translator directly, b) the preset properties, c) the project properties will not "open" the port.
You will either need to use the menu "MIDI|Open Used Ports", or go to the MIDI settings and open the ports by checking them. The MIDI settings also have a button "Open Used Ports". In future (for version 1.8 and later), this will change to the way it works on OS X.

MIDI PORT SETUP OS X:
On OSX, ports are usually opened automatically when selecting them in a translator/preset/project, and you can open/close a port by double-clicking it in any MIDI port list.
Note: v1.6.2 has a bug where port selections in a specific translator entry are removed when editing the translator later. This will be fixed in the next version.

WHEN TO SET PROJECT / PRESET / TRANSLATOR PORTS
In general, it does not matter where you select the MIDI port for a translator.
If no port is set on project/preset/translator level, an incoming MIDI translator receives on all currently open ports. And an outgoing translator will send to all opened ports. Usually, that's not a good solution.

Instead, it's beneficial to use the project and preset default ports. My strategy is to arrange the presets in such a way that one given preset only receives and sends on one port, respectively. Like that I never need to set translator-specific ports. It makes it much easier to understand the preset in future...

If your entire project is only meant to work with one MIDI device, select it in the project default ports and do not select any ports in the presets' properties and in the translator port selection.

VIRTUAL PORTS:
They are not "loopback" ports like Yoke. They always have one "end" in Midi Translator. This is by design, and ensures maximum performance.

Hope that clarifies!
Florian

Sakis

2011-05-14 04:57:13

florian wrote: Selecting a port in a) a translator directly, b) the preset properties, c) the project properties will not "open" the port.
You will either need to use the menu "MIDI|Open Used Ports", or go to the MIDI settings and open the ports by checking them.............
Ok!got it!
florian wrote: In general, it does not matter where you select the MIDI port for a translator.
If no port is set on project/preset/translator level, an incoming MIDI translator receives on all currently open ports.
Ok,but I can't figure something out...I will give an example to tell me what I did wrong.
I used a sequencer and played a midi loop ,out to MT virtual port In...
I opened the MT midi input on "Setup MIDI port and Port Aliases".I received the midi data as expected...But,
I added an input eg "In from Midi Yoke 1" on project properties and on "Setup MIDI port and Port Aliases".Then I created a translator...
Even if I chose on the "on specific port(s)" feature only the "In from Midi Yoke 1" I continue to receive the MT midi IN data on the translator...Shouldn't the translator accepts only the specific port midi data?
florian wrote:VIRTUAL PORTS:
They are not "loopback" ports like Yoke. They always have one "end" in Midi Translator. This is by design, and ensures maximum performance.
Hmmm,it means that it can be used only with MT?!

florian

2011-05-17 12:45:27

Sakis wrote:(...)I opened the MT midi input on "Setup MIDI port and Port Aliases".I received the midi data as expected...But,
I added an input eg "In from Midi Yoke 1" on project properties and on "Setup MIDI port and Port Aliases".Then I created a translator...
Even if I chose on the "on specific port(s)" feature only the "In from Midi Yoke 1" I continue to receive the MT midi IN data on the translator...Shouldn't the translator accepts only the specific port midi data?
Yes, it should and it does so, here. If the translator entry's "on specific port" only has "MIDI Yoke 1" checked, this particular translator entry should not react on MIDI data on other ports.
Sakis wrote:
florian wrote:VIRTUAL PORTS:
Hmmm,it means that it can be used only with MT?!
Yes, MT's virtual ports can only be used to send MIDI data to MT or to receive MIDI data from MT. As said, they're not loopback ports ("forth and back"). They're a direct link, for minimum latency.

Regards,
Florian

Sakis

2011-05-19 03:27:38

florian wrote:Yes, MT's virtual ports can only be used to send MIDI data to MT or to receive MIDI data from MT. As said, they're not loopback ports ("forth and back"). They're a direct link, for minimum latency.
Thanks!
As far the specific port issue it was my mistake,because I used the "capture MIDI" function and I expected that no midi should be displayed ,but I didn't noticed that no translation occurred. My mistake :oops:
Thank you for your time :)

Sakis

2011-11-12 18:26:03

Hi,
Once again I can't set properly individual ports.My setup is a drum module ,an Alesis DM5 through usb midi interface to BMT and back to DM5.
I want to make some presets avoiding the noteOff message of DM5.NoteOffs are transmitted as a noteON with zero velocity so I can't use the velocity of a noteOn as a variable because MT sees the last zero variable.
To filter the NoteOff messages I created a simple translator like:
"if pp==0 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action" ('pp' is the velocity of the note.
I send the translated midi signal on MIDIOX and it worked.BUT I need to route the filtered midi to MT again.How can I do this with MT virtual ports?Is it possible?

florian

2011-11-17 12:43:38

Hi,

a simple way to filter out Note On with zero velocity is to insert a translator entry at the beginning (above all other translator entries) like this:

Code: Select all

Translator 0: Remove Note On with 0 velocity
Options: stop=true
Incoming: 
  MIDI 90 40 00
  swallow=true
Outgoing:
  (none)
Checking "stop processing" will prevent this incoming MIDI message to be used in following translator entries.
Checking "swallow" in the MIDI Incoming section prevents this MIDI message to be routed to output ports within the MIDI Router.

Now any translator entries after that will only see Note On messages with velocity 1 to 127 (hex 01 to 7F).

Hope this solves some!
Florian

Sakis

2011-11-26 17:34:19

Thank you Florian.I will try it as soon as I find some time.I really appreciate your help, it's an example for buying a software product with great support. :)
EDIT:Forgot to mention that it works.Thank you very much :)