same hexadecimal for button and expression pedal in Live

gude2000

2010-12-04 15:41:56

How do you program the expression pedals so that they control volume (exp A) and delay signal (exp B) without having the hexadecimal messages interfere with other messages from other buttons? I have programmed button 6 on the FCB1010 to launch scene 1 ( I see the hexadecimal is F7 00, 54 etc.. when pressed and midi receiving on MT). Interestingly (and annoyingly), when I press the exp A pedal I can see that the patch volume (CC7 on the FCB1010) is controlled by it, but also sweeping the pedals generate THE SAME HEXADECIMAL MESSAGE (F7 00 54, etc...) as button 6, even though they are on different MIDI channels. The effect is that scene 1 is repeatedly launched every time I move either expression pedal!!!

How can I get around this issue?

Attigo

2010-12-04 20:55:28

Maybe change the message completely and re-map it? The first thing I would suggest is to change the MIDI channel, but you have already tried that!!

Scott

gude2000

2010-12-05 01:58:15

How do you change the generated incoming FCB1010 message? Or can you modify the outgoing message so that the same incoming message is routed to a different action? Can the message be differentiated whether it comes from button 6 or from the exp pedal? If so, how? Sorry, but this is total virgin territory for me :( and an incredibly frustrating situation!

Any thoughts appreciated. It would seem that this should be an easy fix, as people wouldn't want to trigger their scenes with the volume pedal, and this is a simple set up with Live and the FCB1010. Someone must have run into this issue and figured it out (I hope :wink: )

Attigo

2010-12-05 17:38:16

Changing a message is the simplest thing you can do in MT. You just need to have an Translator that receives the message you want to change, and output a different message but the trick is to allow the velocity value through. Say you want to change 90 00 xy into 94 1F xy then your Translator should look like this...

Code: Select all

Translator 0: New Translator
Incoming: MIDI 90 00 oo
Outgoing: MIDI 94 1F oo

Hope this helps you...

Scott

gude2000

2010-12-06 06:35:12

How would the translator differentiate the origin of the midi message if the source cannot be uniquely identified (both the button and the pedal send the same incoming message)?

Can you explain how you would set up a translator for an expression pedal? (I know how to do the buttons, but it has to be a different process, since I can't get it to work if mapped by the same method). Currently, I have MT get midi incoming messages from the FCB 1010, which I map to outgoing keystrokes in MT, which correspond to key mappings on Live- this works flawlessly (except for a bit of latency). I don't have the exp pedals mapped this way. I used Live's midi mapping to pick up exp pedal messages (I know this "hybrid" set up is part of my problem, since I do not know know how to map the exp pedal through MT, and the same incoming midi message may be a function of the 2 "systems" not communicating). When I tried to map the exp pedal through MT, I can see the changing midi messages, but I do not know which one to pick... I sense that this is wrong, since I probably need to map the range of messages to correspond to different volume changes as the pedal sweeps...

I appreciate your help in this regard greatly...

Jose

Attigo

2010-12-06 08:19:27

The messages come from different controllers, so try using different ports? Or is the controller the MIDI interface for the footpedal?

gude2000

2010-12-06 09:31:03

Both messages come from the FCB1010 into Live; one message comes from button 6, the other from the exp pedal.