Please help me to understand Aliases in MT

gabriels

2010-07-23 09:05:22

I'm not trying to be pedantic or stupid, but I've never really understood the use of the word "alias" when used in respect to computer software. In MT, I also have trouble understanding aliases.

- Is an alias just another name for a specific input or output?
- I have a several Port Aliases listed in the Midi Port window.
- At first, none have a pulldown in the Device column.
- If I rename one of the Port Aliases, the pull-down appears in the device column and I have the option of selecting one of the Devices (to attach to this Port Alias)
- So, for example, I renamed "Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth" to "Microsoft GS Synth"
- I can select any unrelated Device to attach to this newly renamed Port Alias.
- I don't understand the functionality. Why would I want to attach an unrelated device to this Port Alias.
- Also, why rename the Port Alias at all?

I also read that "An alias can be used for selecting specific ports in translators". Can't I merely select a Device, like "ReMote Zero SL" in the translator without having given it an alias?.
Also, when I create a new port alias with the + button and check the box next to either the renamed port alias or it's corresponding alias, both the renamed alias and the original port alias get a checkmark.
I can't seem to penetrate this. I guess that the Alias I just created and the original alias are one and the same. Why show both of them in the Port window? Why not show just the new port alias?
Please could someone help me understand how this works/
Thanks,
Gabriel

bagginz

2010-07-23 14:02:12

The use of the word "alias" in MT has always confused me too.

I never found a definition of the term in the help file.

Defining terms and well as a tutorial which works from basic up to complex i.e for musicians which are not also mathematicians/computer programmers I find sorely missing in what is obviously a very powerful programme.

cheers,
bagginz

Attigo

2010-07-24 18:09:03

An 'alias' is a name you give a port that you can assign a translator to. You can assign an alias to a port in the MIDI>MIDI Settings panel.

For example, you will have an IN and and (possibly) an OUT port for your device, which you should create an alias for. Then assign the device/port to that alias and then in your translators, receive or send to that alias.

Scott

bagginz

2010-07-24 21:05:30

Thanks for the reply Attigo
Attigo wrote:You can assign an alias to a port in the MIDI>MIDI Settings panel.
Would that be functionally exactly the same as re-naming a port?

Or does the original port and the alias exist at the same time, giving two possible names for the same thing?

Cheers,
bagginz

gabriels

2010-07-25 08:25:17

Attigo,
Thanks for the reply. I'm still confused.
Attigo wrote:For example, you will have an IN and and (possibly) an OUT port for your device, which you should create an alias for. Then assign the device/port to that alias and then in your translators, receive or send to that alias.

Scott
Why do I need to create the alias? Couldn't I just assign the device/port to the original unaliased port? And why, when I create an alias for a virtual port, do I see the port listed twice?
I know I'll eventually "get it" ;-)
Gabriel