Using a PC Bomes MT file on a MAC...

Patch

2009-06-24 19:36:05

Hi...
I need to write a Bomes MT Pro template on a PC , that will also work on a MAC. The problem I think I'll run into is when I start using the CTRL button on the PC keyboard, because MACs do not have a CTRL button. How do I write a template on a PC that will substitute CTRL for the MAC equivalent (is it COMMAND, or APPLE on the Mac keyboard???)

Cheers,
-Pat.

Patch

2009-06-25 23:50:54

Damn - I'd hoped to get a quick answer on this one. Is it not a straight forward solution?

florian

2009-06-25 23:57:16

Hi Patch,

Mac and Win preset files are compatible, but, as you point out, key names differ. I *think* that the following "automatic" translation is done:

Code: Select all

Mac              PC
Shift            Shift
Ctrl             Ctrl
Alt/Option       Alt
Command          Windows
(Updated 2009-06-29)

It is unfortunate that Mac keyboard shortcuts differ often enough (e.g. Ctrl -> Command). I'd just try how far you get.

In worst case, you'll need to create two different templates...

Florian

Patch

2009-06-26 16:07:18

Thanks Florian - I don't need the template to work on WIN, I'm writing a template for a guy on MAC. Can I just confirm: If I write a template on PC using the ALT key, when the file is opened on a MAC the ALT will be read as COMMAND?

The problem I've got is that the template I've written in Windows uses CTRL and ALT. I can't figure out how to translate this over to the correct keys for MAC???

WIN MAC
=== ===
CTRL(ALT(B)) OPTION(ALT(B))

Should this be a straight conversion that happens when the template is opened on a MAC, or do I need to change the ALT key in the Windows template to the WINDOWS key so that a MAC will read the WINDOWS key as the ALT key?

Thanks for the answers...

florian

2009-06-29 17:04:29

the problem is that it's the application that defines the keyboard shortcuts. But if you know that it's Ctrl-Command-B on Mac, then enter Ctrl-Alt-B on Windows. This is how it's supposed to work.

Oh, and my Mac keyboard does have a Ctrl key, in the bottom left corner.

Regards,
Florian

florian

2009-06-29 17:10:28

correction! windows and alt are switched on Mac. I've updated the table in my post above.

Florian

Patch

2009-07-02 10:46:13

Thanks Florian - I think we've got it sorted now. :D