Hold NOTE on kybd. then hit another key to send Patch Change

yvon

2009-04-15 01:57:02

ADDED COMMENT: how about the first message (instead of, 'Ex: lowest note on keyboard") Instead: have it be some pedal info first, and THEN the note on the keyboard that triggers the midi program change send message.

So: say, a switch or controller pedal that send some message which lets translator know that the NEXT note ON (or off?) message is to be translated to a program change. So by just hitting the footpedal/switch first would AFTER that allow every note on the keyboard to send a program change. (once per pedal/switch press of course)

The keyboard would have to go back to normal play after the program change obviously, so maybe it would have to be that: WHILE the switch/pedal was depressed or in the right position the keyboard became available to have a note trigger a program change.

This IS possible right. :)

---------- EARLIER text BELOW -------------

I can send any patch change by using a footpedal. So patch change 2 then 27 then 15. I am looking for a way to do this though not need to use the footpedal. By doing the change manually from the piano keyboard.

I though it might be possible to hold a note down and then hit a second note which calls the patch it's assigned to. Or ANYTHING similar.

For example:

1) hold the lowest note down on the piano keyboard.
2) WHILE it is held HIT another note.
3) This causes translator to send a program change.

Can ANYTHING like this be done? or some similar way to send any patch change and not have to do them sequentially, Don't want to have to have the patch desired IN any order. Just be able to jump to whatever patch is needed.

The idea is to NOT need a foot pedal to generate patch changes.
AND to be able to choose/jump-to whatever patch change is desired based on the SECOND note being hit while the first note is held down. (which tell translator to listen for second note about to come)

um, I think I said that a few ways, uh, the same way.

big thanks!

yvon

2009-04-18 01:06:32

I have looked everywhere I can.

SO: if I hold down or hit a footpedal OR keyboard note thereby sending an intial message CAN this be followed by any note on the piano keyboard which would then send a program change?

Probably easier to just get another footpedal though need to know what's possible.

I hit a predetermined note on the piano keyboard which doesn't change. OR it could be a footswitch sending some data.

THEN, because transformer is aware that this initial note, or midiswitch data string is to notify transformer that the next NOTE on command will be any note on the piano keyboard each of which is sent to send a midi program change command.

Hope that's clear. I tried and failed at figuring this out.

ruediger

2009-04-20 10:29:27

Hi,

seems possible. Sounds like a "shift" button that you want to have.

Code: Select all

Translator 0 :Shift - set variable to remember
Options: swallow,2 rules
Incoming: MIDI 90 30 pp
Rules: 
	if pp==0 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
	ga=1
Outgoing: (none)

Translator 1 :Shift - release
Options: swallow,1 rules
Incoming: MIDI 90 30 00
Rules: 
	ga=0
Outgoing: (none)

Translator 2 :Any other when shit pressed
Options: swallow,2 rules
Incoming: MIDI 90 3C pp
Rules: 
	if ga!=1 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
	if pp==0 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
Outgoing: Keystroke: D O A N Y T H I N G 

This 3 translators are doing what you want. Translator 0 sets the global variable ga=1 on any Note On (if Note Off, this is skipped). If you now press another Note On ( here 90 3C pp ) the outgoing action is executed (if not a Note Off). If you release the "Shift" Key, the variable is set back (Translator 1).

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Rüdi

yvon

2009-04-21 11:29:44

Im absolutely knocked out at how timely your assist is. I read your reply this morning and am only now able to reply. I'm now going to try to enter the info into translator pro demo to test.

yvon

2009-04-22 06:24:36

I am very happy to say this works. I have now had a quick study day on translator. I found that translator is very smart.

A regular footpedal with many pedal switches for program changes is going to be much safer and less chance of over complicating or bad errors hitting notes and concentrating on the music. Also a better performance vibe.

i am still very much considering that translator is a must have tool and so I should ask one thing I have observed with this. I will know more as to why later, though now I will just mention.

I setup 4 VSTs and they all play when I trigger than with you example code which I believe I have exactly right. it's a lot harder than I thought it would be to do it in a performance way though maybe I will get used to it. Wouldn't want to miss the trigger key...

The main thing is:

Sometimes the upper patch change trigger notes sound when I have the low 'shift' note held. Sometimes not. They should not sound of course when the low shift note is held. I expect this is something other than directly translator and I will write back after I work with this.

I will continue on this and would be interested to know at any time if you have had any more genius thoughts! I also appreciate how crazy busy life is... thank you!!!

yvon

2009-05-18 04:45:25

Ok: question

The above code works great. The only thing is that only the shift note (lowest note on midi keyboard) is held down the hitting of the trigger note is sounded by whatever patch is currently running.

So is there a way to mute all note on commands only the shift note is held so that only the program change gets sent? Essentially stopping the outputting of notes while the shift note is held. Should be possible right?

ruediger

2009-06-10 09:38:11

Hi,

sorry for the late reply.

You have to deactivate all other presets when the shift note is held.

Something like this:

Translator 1: deactivate 1
Options: stop=false
Outgoing: activate only preset "shift preset"
That means you activate the Shift preset and deactivate all other ones.

Cheers,
Rüdi

yvon

2009-06-10 10:13:38

NICE! I'll try that. Crazy busy for a while. Will write back at some point ASAP. MANY thank you!

7G

2009-06-10 22:52:43

Ok this is huge!!!
I was looking something like that but not for a patch change but for record style like Korg's Kaosscilator where you hold a button and
starts recording only when you press the screen(velocity sensitive i guess..)
I can imagine me pressing my footpedal and when i hit a key bang..starts to record
It would be magical if we also had the same visual feedback that this little thingy has(holding the button LCD shows the bar counts...)

Any ideas on that?

Keep it up guys!!!

Yorgos

yvon

2009-06-11 02:20:33

UPDATE COMMENT REGARDING:

Currently I have the shift part AND the program change parts in one patch. So, there that problem that even when I have the shift note held down often hitting the program change trigger note there will be an unwanted midi sound, obviously.

So, your solution is to SEPARATE the shift part from the program change part and create TWO patches.
yes?

Would it be possible/good/logical to think about a way to have it all in one patch.

florian

2009-06-18 11:57:28

Hi 7G, yes, with the 1.7 version it's easy to send feedback back to the device. It allows opening multiple MIDI ports.

Yvon, I'm not sure what you mean... could you copy/paste your preset(s) here? thanks.

Regards,
Florian

Transulator

2009-06-20 12:14:45

Just wanted to say Thank you to Rüdiger for this information.

Since 12 hours my Edirol controller has two virtual shift buttons thus giving me the triple amount of knobs and faders. YES!!! 8)

This alone is pure cash that has been saved.

ruediger

2009-06-22 16:42:04

I am happy that it works for you :wink:

Best regards,
Rüdi

Transulator

2009-06-22 17:25:56

I was really narrow minded about the possibilities of MT though I knew the program for a long time (and never used it). The "shift button" thingy eventually opened my eyes. I'm quite happy with MT and full of plans for frankenstoning my buried midi controllers. :)

yvon

2010-05-18 10:18:18

when shift note is held down any other note hit WILL sound so not useable like that.

yvon

2010-07-24 01:40:14

[essential fact: using only one preset is what is almost working - and do not want to add another preset hopefully]

The shift preset still sends note on midi info which is creating the problem. Need to send only prg. change.

UPDATE: REALLY need to know how to ADD a couple of translators that will mute note-on output while shift note is held.
Thank you for your reply way back Rudi, quoted below... thing is there is not any other preset to mute. I have everything working in one preset called shift preset. PLEASE someone... what are the, I assume two translators i can add to my ONE preset that will mute ALL note-on midi out info though only WHILE the shift note is held. droolingly interested in the answer to this.

To explain: my only preset called shift preset allows holding down the shift note, hitting any other note on the midi keyboard and sending a program change WHILE the shift note is held. PROBLEM: when hitting the note that I want to send ONLY a program change I also send note-on info which is not a good sound ever. NEED: to hold shift note, hit any other note and have the program change sent though NOT note-on midi info.

Hi,

sorry for the late reply.

You have to deactivate all other presets when the shift note is held.

Something like this:

Cheers,
Rüdi

AND: of course 'swallowing' the incoming midi works though as an unacceptable solution. Because: the program changes are sent still AND they ARE sent silently (no unwanted sound when note hit) YET: all the 'incoming swallowed' notes that are hit when the shift note is held no longer can be played upon lifting the shift note.