Trouble with MIDI filtering

florian

2009-03-31 12:13:23

a user of MT asks:
I'm trying to convert the incoming MIDI to a different outgoin MIDI number so I can trigger reasons redrum. However i'm having trouble with the midi number being translated and sent back out. i know i am doing the correct conversions because every now and then the desired sound will be triggered. when the sound is made the midi in, translating and midi out lights are working, and when it's not working only the 'midi in' light will flash.

i don't think it is a hardware issue either because when i go directly from the dtx brain to reason, tom 3 can be triggered as it's value falls within the values that reason sets. so when it is set with out the translator it works as expected with no hassels. any help would be awsome

florian

2009-03-31 12:17:36

Hi,

MIDI filtering should work fine with MT -- that's what most users use MT for.

For your problem, I can think of two different reasons why it's not working:

1) Midi Translator setup is not correct
- can you copy/paste your preset here into the forums?

2) MIDI setup is not correct
When you're filtering and you don't want the original messages to be passed to Reason, you need to make sure that either "MIDI Thru" is turned off in the Options menu (if none of the original messages should go to Reason), or, MIDI THru is enabled, but you check "swallow message" in all the Incoming MIDI actions.
In any case, make sure that in Reason, you do NOT open the original MIDI port of your MIDI device. That port should only be open in Midi Translator. In Reason, only open the virtual Midi Translator port as MIDI IN.

Regards,
Florian

Beermilkshake

2009-04-23 08:17:05

Hi, I have the same problem trying to re-map triggers coming in from my Alesis Performance Pad to Reason Redrum. I've done everything you've mentioned here, but all I see when I hit the pad on MT is the Midi IN signal lighting up. No Midi Out. And my hardware is set up correctly.

The funny thing is that, like fretfury, I also once heard my triggers being remapped in Reason, but then it just vanished (?).

Possibly a mac dilemma ? Fret, are u also on a mac ?

florian

2009-05-22 08:55:00

Hi Beermilkshake,

is this still an issue?

Florian

Beermilkshake

2009-05-22 09:33:20

Hi Florian.
It seems to be okay, although sometimes, for some completely unknown reason, it doesn't work as it should when I start-up the program. I'm going to do more research/experimenting before I make an 'official' complaint though ;-)

Like I said in another post, Bomes is now translating the midi message but killing the velocity. To be continued.