roland d-550 problems

chrisdescor

2008-09-28 12:42:54

HI

I have a Roland D-550, and have tried everything I can think of to try and get it to work.
The problem is, no audio comes out.
I have messed around with the midi channels, using external keyboards to control it by midi, using midi to usb to ableton sequencer.
I've tried making new patches making sure the volume and balence is all up.
I do get the green light on the front saying midi messages are beig sent/working etc.
I have my headphones plugged into the front audio jack, volume up, even tried the back panel audio jacks.
But all i get is the static/digital noise you get when turing up full volume.
I've tried using the computer editor, but it doesnt even work, its fucked.

Someone please help me!

I heard the patches might be corrupted?! well how do I fix that?

cheers

pablomastodon

2008-10-03 07:17:12

Dude, I sure don't know why you are asking questions like that in this forum -- it is WAY off-topic.

That said, I own a pair of D-550s and have never had the problem you describe. It may be possible that your internal battery has died and that your programs got corrupted, but it doesn't sound likely. Never happened to me on those units, but when something like that has happened on my other modules, the names of the patches have also been kind of randomized (sometimes into Japanese characters!).

You don't say if the thing has EVER worked for you...doesn't sound like it. Is this a recent eBay purchase? You might have gotten hosed if it is. There are lots of free sysex downloads available on the internet for that synth; grab one or more banks of sounds and try loading one via sysex. If that doesn't do it or you, then probably your internal electronics are at fault -- take it to your local tech (or send it to EPR Electronics in Tampa -- they're the greatest). I'm guessing that's where your problem is.

Also, you should eliminate the computer/usb/ableton from your midi chain for testing purposes just to simplify the setup. Midi keyboard straight into the D-550; try leaving the midi settings on the roland alone and then try transmitting on each channel, one at a time, from your keyboard controller. If you've been getting the midi signal indicator light to come on, though, it would seem that your problem isn't there, but might be worth a try.

Good luck,

Pablo