Mac version w/ Java = deal breaker.

RobertX

2008-09-26 03:16:17

Yuk. Seriously.

Also, the GUI makes me want to kill myself. You guys *had* to mimic the Windows version?

Is it really necessary to enter hex values? When capturing MIDI [in my case with a TriggerFinger] I'd prefer to enter CC or note data for a pad instead of 9900FF. Arrgh! Painful.

Hire a Mac programmer and I'll buy version 2.0.

:(

litL1

2008-10-04 15:02:02

Hi RobertX,

...because it's early morning (in my book), and i'm about to wake up and get started by beta testing MT5 for a bit, having read your post, i will rant!

i am just one of the many hopeful, appreciative and happy beta testers of the MacOSX version. I agree with you, in that i'm not too keen on the GUI, as it sports a somewhat archaic outfit, but before you act rash and go killing yourself, you might ask yourself: Would you rather dance with 16 year old, wearing thick glasses and correcting braces, being extremely bright, with a loving charm exuding from her genuine, helpful personality and the potential to grow and become a stunning show stopper - besides a successful adult, or would you prefer the 61 year old, dressed in short pants, well-shaped boobs (cause they weren't hers to begin with), celluloid-reactivated leathery skin, and thick as a coconut peel, asking you for the 10th time to bring her a glass of gin?

I.o.w. why depreciate the essentials over the GUI. ... Is it really so bad??

Perhaps your expectation in regards to a Beta version of a program, being passionately built by a handful of genuine enthusiasts with not many more resources at their disposal than their sheer talent and experience (amongst which a Mac programmer, i believe to be dedicated on only MT MacOSX) and the support from the music community, had been a little off board?

I'm only writing all this, because i strongly believe that the guys at Bomes deserve all the respect and motivation, and constructive criticism (of course), for having a shot at porting a program that has already made thousands of Windows users happy over for us Mac folk..

Regarding the MIDI capture, is it not feasible for you to use the automatic MIDI capture function, for the time being? This will enter the HEX value for you. You could then make a note of this, if you know that you'll be entering this value often.

***ONE LOVE***

PS - (yawn) - good morning everybody - time for coffee :mrgreen:

florian

2008-10-20 23:08:47

Hi RobertX,

we appreciate any criticism! We know that there are some rough edges in the GUI -- and we will try to clean that up. For the overall design, it's probably a matter of taste. We use Java not for the look but for it being cross platform. We'll use it on Windows, too.

Regarding hex values, I wholeheartedly agree. Though it's possible to learn it "the hard way" (by way of the MIDI Capture), it would be much nicer to have a more humanly way of entering MIDI messages. We'll work on that.

Thanks,
Florian

litL1: thanks for the nice words, too. And Good morning :)

feno

2008-10-31 02:40:22

plish plash....its not meant to be halo 4