Newbie ?'s: Should MIDI out light up? Anyone using mac osx?

BradleyFish

2008-08-17 18:36:15

Hi,

I went through the quick start a few times. I can't get Live 7 to respond to the simple translation that I created going through quick start instructions.

When I press the assigned note on a keyboard, only the MIDI out and MIDI thru lights light up. I have MIDI out assigned to "Bome's MT virtual Out 1"

Am I missing something here? Somehow the info is not getting to Live 7.

The quick start was very well written and easy to follow however it seems to be for an earlier version of the software, so there seem to be some new options and check boxes. Perhaps this is related to my problem?

Any help is amazing - thanks!!

BradleyFish

2008-08-18 00:03:39

ok...Live 7 has a MIDI port from Bomes MIDI translator port 1 enabled.

Also, when I hit a note on the keyboard it creates 2 hexidecimal numbers - one when I hit the key and one when I let go:
90 30 00
90 30 52

Then I uncheck the capture MIDI box and the numbers disappear.

NOTHING is shown in the Incoming trigger readout on the main screen, although the Outgoing Trigger shows the keystroke combination that I invented for the translation.

Again, MIDI OUT does not light up when I hit the midi keyboard, just midi in and midi thru. Live 7 can see that it is getting MIDI, as can Bome's.

Hope this helps? Thanks! javascript:emoticon(':shock:')

:roll:

joesapo

2008-08-18 23:02:30

BradleyFish wrote:ok...Live 7 has a MIDI port from Bomes MIDI translator port 1 enabled.

Also, when I hit a note on the keyboard it creates 2 hexidecimal numbers - one when I hit the key and one when I let go:
90 30 00
90 30 52

Then I uncheck the capture MIDI box and the numbers disappear.

NOTHING is shown in the Incoming trigger readout on the main screen, although the Outgoing Trigger shows the keystroke combination that I invented for the translation.

Again, MIDI OUT does not light up when I hit the midi keyboard, just midi in and midi thru. Live 7 can see that it is getting MIDI, as can Bome's.

Hope this helps? Thanks! javascript:emoticon(':shock:')

:roll:
Indeed there have been a few changes to the MT software since the manual was written, but nothing too major in the way translators function.

The fact that you *are* seeing the '90 30 00/90 30 52' numbers on the screen is reason enough to believe that you have the input routing for MT correctly set up. MT is 'seeing' the midi signals from your keyboard ok it would seem.

Try clicking on one of the values and *then* unchecking the capture MIDI checkbox. If that doesn't work, simply type in one of the values manually.

Also, MIDI OUT will not light up if you don't have MT actually sending any MIDI data. If you have any translators set up that actually output MIDI data (changing the MIDI channel, altering the values, etc) then the MIDI OUT status light will turn on. You *should* however see the 'Key Out' light up when you are using these translators.

BradleyFish

2008-08-19 02:17:16

Thanks - that fixed it! Wow, I'm excited to get this going now!