MIDI-to-Keystrokes/press

wesky

2007-03-14 04:01:17

Hi Guys,

I dont wish to bother you with BCD2000 and virtual DJ issues but I am wanting to get to the bottom of something that is really bugging me.

I have been doing some research on the forum and I think I am starting to work out what the issue might be but would like more input from the pro's

First let me explain,

I am looking at working out an alternative to the BCD2000 jogwheel and how it works with VirtualDJ (sorry to mention it haha).

basically, the method I am using is BCD2000 -> MT -> VirtualDJ.

Commands are fed into MT, lets say jogwheel on deck a turned anticlockwise gives a MIDI command of BO 12 40 and anticlockwise gives midi BO 12 41.

I programmed keypresses in VDJ to do the following
">" = Nudge clockwise (known as +128 in vdj).
"<" = nudge anticlockwise (known as -128 in vdj).

Whenever I turn the jogwheel in any direction, it will display the text output of its respective keypress in VDJ's song name search field (text input). IE, I move the jogwheel anticlockwise and it will place a "<" in the search text field and vice versa.

BUT, If i move the focus out of the text field and on to one of the decks and move the jogwheel, VDJ refuses to recognise the keystroke. If I was to press the key on the keyboard itself, it works fine but for some reason VDJ does not understand that "<" or ">" coming from MT is the same as "<" & ">" coming from the actual keyboard itself.

My question is, what would be the issue?

Im guessing programs can be designed in ways that allow keypresses to be picked up differently etc etc.

Is this something that we can overcome easily?

Cheers,.

Steve.

PS: have posted this on the VDJ forums in the hope to find out who would know more about.

florian

2007-03-14 15:58:47

Hi Wesky,

I don't know what the problem is, but I can guess that VDJ is yet another program that uses DirectInput or other "direct" ways of accessing the keyboard. Those programs cannot receive the emulated keystrokes from Midi Translator.

A driver for MT is in development that installs a real keyboard driver for MT, thus programs shouldn't be able to notice any difference then for keystrokes coming from MT.

Let us know if something else is found or suggested in the VDJ forums.

Regards,
Florian

wesky

2007-03-14 20:23:53

Florian!

Thanks for the prompt reply.

VDJ are yet to reply directly to my question re keyboard inputs but I am guessing what it is you are saying, has really answered on their behalf.

If you need a hand with anything re the new driver etc etc, shoot me an email @ sjw84@tpg.com.au.

Thanks again,

Steve.

wesky

2007-03-30 15:07:34

Hi Florian,

Sorry to be a pain in the butt, but has a version of MT come out yet with the keyboard driver, as discussed?

Cheers,

Steve.

florian

2007-04-02 21:38:48

not yet, but it shouldn't take much more for a first beta version.

Florian

wesky

2007-04-02 23:19:12

Fantastic.

Ill be sure to purchase it once it has come out :)

Cheers,

Steve.