Wierd problem...

bob@bobethomas.com

2016-05-31 16:35:24

I tried to use a Midi Translator router mapping on a 2nd computer, which is slightly different from the 1st.. and I started having multiple versions of my midi devices (e.g. Midisport 4x4 A ++ 2-Midisport 4x4 A ++ 3-Midisport 4x4 A, etc)... I deleted the aliases, but that didn't help. So I tried uninstalled Midi trans 1.8 and now I have new problems..

First, there seems to be no way I can uninstall Midi Translator 1.8 so that I can do a completely clean reinstall
-- with the new install the old settings from the previous install are still there, even if I reinstall to a new directory

Also, with the new reinstall, the Settings tell me I have no virtual midi ports, but as you can see on the screen shot attached, there are still longname vmidi ports from Bomes showing up...

How do I clean everything out of the system so I can do a new clean install and not have all these random aliases?

Also, is there any way possible to have MT 1.8 create more than 9 VMidi ports? I use several hardware devices where I split the output from one MIDI device to route to both Ableton Live and to Mobius Looper. I also have Vmidi ports that go between Ableton and Mobius, so that in all I need around 12-14 Vmidi ports...

Thanks, Florian, in advance for your advice and help on this.

All the best,
Robert Thomas
Attachments
Robert Thomas - bomes problem.pdf
with screenshot attached
(214.56 KiB) Downloaded 170 times

florian

2016-06-14 11:29:26

Hi Bob,
sorry for the late reply. Seems your post stayed under our radar!

The port naming issue is mainly due to Windows. In certain situations, it'll rename a MIDI port with a prefixed number if there are multiple same MIDI devices plugged in, our the same one plugged into different USB ports.

MIDI Translator remembers port aliases, but removes those which are not in use anymore when started. However, if your project file uses a MIDI port name in the project/preset properties, in the MIDI router, or in specific translators, an alias for that device is created if that named port does not exist. So it's worthwhile to double-check your project for the port names that are checked and used.

Regarding the other problems:

Resetting MIDI Translator Settings
On Windows, the settings file is in %APPDATA%\Bome . You can enter that path with the % signs into the address bar of Windows Explorer.
On OS X, the settings are stored in a hidden folder in your home folder. To remove them, open a
terminal, and type:

Code: Select all

rm ~/.Bome/*.bmts
followed by the ENTER key.
Removing the settings file will reset all settings, including alias definitions. But as said, they'll reappear if used in a project.
Might be a good idea to add a function "reset to defaults" in the settings screen, or a function "remove all aliases".

Inconsistent Virtual MIDI Port Setting
Such an inconsistency can occur on Windows after an uninstall/install cycle. Just set an arbitrary number of ports, and the setting in MT and the really existing ports should be in sync again. We'll have a look if that can be fixed for the next version.

More than 9 Virtual MIDI Ports
Currently, MT Pro is limited to 9 ports, sorry.

Thanks!
Florian