Edrum Cymbal Choking solution

lostinlymbo

2016-02-02 17:04:36

So I have recently been gifted an old Yamaha Dtxpress II. The module itself produces cymbal choking but not in MIDI. As I wanted to use this with EZDrummer 2 or other VST instruments it was frustrating to have limited functionality. That lead me to find MIDI Translator.

I used MIDI Translator to change the MIDI note my crash cymbal sends above a certain velocity. This way I can maintain hard and soft articulation of the crash and then also choke with a good strong hit.

Of course there will be variation between different pieces of software and MIDI devices, but I suppose this will work with other cheap electronic drums, like the ones made by Medelli.

In Cubase, I have Ezdrummer set up with the Bome virtual MIDI device for the MIDI in. In Bome I have the MIDI from my drumset routed thru the emulated midi driver. Here is the rough break down of my little project:

Incoming
MIDI Message
Note On
(Capture Midi Chose:)
Channel 9 - Channel 10
Note 58 - A#3
Velocity:
Any velocity
Set variable to velocity pp

Swallow MIDI

Select MIDI ports:
Project/Present Default Ports

Rules:

if pp<=120 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action

Outgoing
MIDI Message
Note On
Channel 0 - Channel 1

Specific Ports...
Bome...
Bome...
Note 58 - A#3
Velocity 127

After assigning velocity to pp, the rule makes it so that if the note velocity is under 120 I maintain my original crash. Above 120 and I get a choke at 127 velocity.

It should be noted that in EZdrummer the velocity of the choke note determines the attack or how quickly the choke emulates the muting of the brass cymbal.

This should be a good work around that can give some life to old electronic drums.

Cheers,
Adam