Mapping Multiple Channels

Torch

2015-12-28 09:51:40

I need to map all or 3 channels to channel 1 and be able to turn the mapping "on and off" at will while performing. I am hoping for the Bomebox to come to my rescue. I have an Anatek Pocket Channel that can do this easily but the thing does not save settings when it's disconnected from a midi cable, and it is a nightmare to program my setup. I would not do it before a gig starts.

The support team was kind enough to write a file for me and it works great in mapping all incoming channels to channel one. Now, how can I turn on and off the mapping on the fly? If there are different ways of doing it, what would they be? With the Anateck Pocket Channel, I can connect a switch pedal that will turn on and off the mapping of channels. Thus I would think the use of a pedal (to send a controller change message or whatever) would be the best as both of my hands and all the notes on the midi controller would be busy playing music.

Thanks,
Chris

florian

2015-12-28 11:35:01

Hi Chris,
now I understand, that's very easy! Just create a second preset: in its preset properties, select the foot pedal's MIDI port as MIDI INPUT. Then in this preset, create a translator, which enables/disables the channel mapping preset as needed (Preset Change outgoing action). As incoming action, use the MIDI message from the foot pedal -- use MIDI Capture to select it.

For using the same message from the foot pedal to toggle the channel mapping (i.e. alternating on/off with each press on the foot pedal), you need a little extra logic with a global variable, say g0:

Code: Select all

[x] Preset 1: Toggle Mapper
 Default MIDI IN ports:   Foot Pedal

[x] Translator 1.0: Disable Mapper
Options: swallow
Incoming: Note On on any channel with any note and any velocity
Rules:
  g0=1-g0
  if g0==0 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
Outgoing: deactivate preset "Map all Channels to 1"

[x] Translator 1.1: Enable Mapper
Rules: if g0==1 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
Outgoing: activate preset "Map all Channels to 1"
Attached is the preset for that.

Regards,
Florian
Attachments
MapAccordionChannels.bmtp
(2.57 KiB) Downloaded 184 times

Torch

2016-01-03 10:14:14

Thank you very much, Florian.

Chris

Torch

2016-07-07 11:14:10

Hi Florian,
While eagarly waiting for the Bomebox, I thought I would prepare myself by learning Midi Translator. So I went ahead and purchased Midi Translator Pro and imported this project you had written for me. I tried to get it to work by using my foot swtich sending CC# 80 (genetic On & OFF switch) to enable & disable mapping multiple channels, but I could not get it to work. Well, to be more precise, I don't know what I am doing... I will read through the 80 or so page manual but for now could I trouble you to help me a bit more with this?

Thanks,
Chris
florian wrote:Hi Chris,
now I understand, that's very easy! Just create a second preset: in its preset properties, select the foot pedal's MIDI port as MIDI INPUT. Then in this preset, create a translator, which enables/disables the channel mapping preset as needed (Preset Change outgoing action). As incoming action, use the MIDI message from the foot pedal -- use MIDI Capture to select it.

For using the same message from the foot pedal to toggle the channel mapping (i.e. alternating on/off with each press on the foot pedal), you need a little extra logic with a global variable, say g0:

Code: Select all

[x] Preset 1: Toggle Mapper
 Default MIDI IN ports:   Foot Pedal

[x] Translator 1.0: Disable Mapper
Rules:
  g0=1-g0
  if g0==0 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
Outgoing: deactivate preset "Map all Channels to 1"

[x] Translator 1.1: Enable Mapper
Rules: if g0==1 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
Outgoing: activate preset "Map all Channels to 1"
Attached is the preset for that.

Regards,
Florian

florian

2016-07-07 12:11:05

Hi Chris,
could you please load my preset in MT Pro, then enable the Log Window and activate all options there, then use the foot switch and the accordion and post the Log Window output here. Also, if possible, describe what is working,and what is not working.
Thanks!
Florian

Torch

2016-07-07 12:39:08

First log: I did not create a translator. I wanted to show you the very first pic before I change any setting or create a translator.
1. I pressed my USB foot switch which I programmed to send CC#80 (the sustain switch is set to toggle)
2. Then I played notes on the controller my accordion fed into Control Hub Midi
"By default" all channels are mapped to ch 1. and everything works good.

The 2nd log will show what I am trying to (not really knowing what I'm doing...) by creating two translators for the foot swtich (programmed to send CC#80) to disable and able the mapping.

Thank you,
Chris

42020 - Loaded Project file: C:\Users\chris\Desktop\MapAccordionChannels.bmtp
42021 - Activated preset: Map all Channels to 1
42021 - Activated preset: Toggle Mapper
Opened MIDI IN: Control Hub MIDI
Opened MIDI IN: MIDI Expression GREEN
Opened MIDI OUT: Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual Out
61662 - MIDI IN [MIDI Expression GREEN]: B0 50 00
69193 - MIDI IN [Control Hub MIDI]: 90 5B 32
69193 - IN 0.0 Note On on any channel=1 set 'pp' to note=91 (0x5B) and 'qq' to velocity=50 (0x32)
69193 - MIDI OUT [Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual Out]: 90 5B 32
69193 - OUT 0.0 Note On on channel 1 with note:pp=91 (0x5B) and velocity:qq=50 (0x32)
69475 - MIDI IN [Control Hub MIDI]: 80 5B 30
69475 - IN 0.1 Note Off on any channel=1 set 'pp' to note=91 (0x5B) and 'qq' to velocity=48 (0x30)
69475 - MIDI OUT [Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual Out]: 80 5B 30
69475 - OUT 0.1 Note Off on channel 1 with note:pp=91 (0x5B) and velocity:qq=48 (0x30)
74631 - MIDI IN [Control Hub MIDI]: 92 27 32
74631 - IN 0.0 Note On on any channel=3 set 'pp' to note=39 (0x27) and 'qq' to velocity=50 (0x32)
74631 - MIDI OUT [Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual Out]: 90 27 32
74631 - OUT 0.0 Note On on channel 1 with note:pp=39 (0x27) and velocity:qq=50 (0x32)
74886 - MIDI IN [Control Hub MIDI]: 82 27 12
74886 - IN 0.1 Note Off on any channel=3 set 'pp' to note=39 (0x27) and 'qq' to velocity=18 (0x12)
74886 - MIDI OUT [Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual Out]: 80 27 12
74886 - OUT 0.1 Note Off on channel 1 with note:pp=39 (0x27) and velocity:qq=18 (0x12)

Torch

2016-07-07 13:18:00

OK, I think I am getting more familiar with MT Pro. I was watching the log for midi in and out as I kept pressing the foot switch. While in Disabler, it shows only midi out not midi out. So I am trying to figure it out.

Thanks again,
Chris

Torch

2016-07-07 13:37:15

I got it, Florian. Watching the log is very helpful. I was able to get midi out for the Disabler by making a connection in the MIDI Router. I learned quite a bit, but your mention of Window log was the main reason as to how I was able to learn and solve it.
This is exciting! This one project, preset or operation makes my midi setup very flexible and powerful. The manufacturer of the MIDI Event Processor Plus which I have and a dealer who specializes in programing the device for a fee both said that this can not be done on the device. Finally! I can create big, fat patches and play them any way I want. Sure appreaciate the capability of MT PRO and your big help, Florian.

Thanks a lot,
Chris
PS: Where is the Bomebox? Bring it on! :D

florian

2016-07-08 21:34:23

great to hear that! Enjoy...
BomeBox is on schedule (now)!
Florian