Upgrade Guide?

Lunatech

2015-06-24 01:44:17

Hello,

Is there an upgrade guide or recommendations when installing the new version. I ask because It took me many hours to get my translator built and working with PT 12. It would truly devastate me to install the new version and then get the dreaded "Cant communicate with HUI device" error and have to start from scratch. Any recommendations? I know to create restore point and backup the system.. Anything related to the actual updating?

The reason I ask is because I did a test run on another machine and saw that the driver name itself midi translator (7) in device manager. Does that mean it remembered the other ports it replaced. I just do not want to have to rebuild this translator. Thanks.

DvlsAdvct

2015-06-24 22:00:53

Just as a note, you should never need to start from scratch. At no point will upgrading over-write your project and prevent things from working if you roll back to a previous version.

MT Pro should keep all of your MIDI Ports named the same. What I would recommend is assigning Aliases to your ports you need to use so when you install the next version you can just assign ports directly to those aliases. If you want to be extra careful, save the project as a new file, and if it doesn't work in the new version just roll back to the old one.

Jared

Lunatech

2015-06-25 02:57:43

Hello,

Just as an update... I backed up my machine.. Took a restore point and installed the new version. Yes I agree that it kept the old names within the Bome program, but here is where I knew I was in trouble. Once I loaded my renamed preset.. As soon as it opened it told me two of my ports needed to be associated with new ports. Why... Because by default the new version only installs 1 virtual port. This project had 3. So I added the other 2 ports and to my dismay I heard the familiar hardware response of "new hardware found. Why was I dismayed with this?. because in using bome to try to make PT 11/ work (Unsuccessful) and getting PT 12 to work this meant that when I started PT it would tell me that configured ports were not found and to choose new ones (Which it did). The next scenario would be the dreaded "HUI communication error" (Which I got). The only way around this before was to uninstall PT and tell it to remove all device, peripherals and midi settings. I could not get any presets to work as templates and had to build one from scratch to see translation. In particular for the Ping.

In short, The new version did not work. Thank God for backups/system restore. I return to my original post question. Is there a process by which the upgrade uses working settings in that this type of issue does not occur. Or documentation that clearly states the issues that can occur and how best to litigate them. It appears that PT remembers device information and retains that in that in this case the Ping no longer translated properly (incorrect device?). As soon as I restored.. The ping is back and translating, old version is working and I cannot upgrade at this time. Any insight would be appreciated.

florian

2015-06-25 11:05:16

Hi Lunatech,
chiming in... Sorry for the hassle!

We don't have an upgrade guide, for almost all people, it will just continue to work as before.

Of course, there are subtle differences, as you already found out by yourself:
  • on first start on Windows, go into the settings screen and re-check your options
  • virtual port names changed from "Bome's Midi Translator 1" to "Bome MIDI Translator 1"
  • on Mac, MIDI port names do not include the manufacturer name in the port name
Other than that, functionally, MT Pro 1.8 works just the same as the previous version.

On Windows, we've completely changed the underlying technology, so it was not practical to import the settings. And it was long overdue to change to a more sensible name.

Thanks,
Florian

Lunatech

2015-06-25 13:22:30

Hi Florian,

Thanks for the reply. I think this issue is probably associated with how Windows "names" or enumerates the virtual midi hardware device which PT "see's". I believe that if this was a fresh install of every thing, this issue would not be so prevalent. In my head I am thinking that if the Windows enumerated name for the device could be "replaced" then PT's config would not see any change. Things are stable right now. and I have some project deadlines to meet. I will have to wait on upgrading for now. Cant chance it. Thanks again.

florian

2015-06-25 13:33:06

understood... I wouldn't update Windows or OS X to a new major version right before a deadline or performance... 8)

nottooloud

2015-06-25 17:38:59

I installed on Windows XP, and was surprised when it didn't ask if it was OK to overwrite files. Then I found the name change. The two versions should completely coexist, yes?

florian

2015-06-25 17:46:53

On Windows, yes, they do coexist, but they use the same virtual MIDI ports.
MT 1.8 installs BMIDI 2, which has its own uninstaller in the Control Panel.

On OS X, you can keep as many versions in your Applications folder as you like :)
Florian

nottooloud

2015-07-01 19:13:04

Installed on OSX Yosemite, and it's not showing up in Launchpad. "Bome's" is still there. "Bome" launches fine if I navigate to Applications and doubleclick. Reboot, no change. Any ideas?

florian

2015-07-02 10:44:49

Hi nottoloud,
thanks for reporting this, which I could just confirm. It's a bug, I don't know yet why MT 1.8 does not appear in Launchpad.
I'll report back here.
Florian