Allen & Heath Xone K2 /w Bomes help!!!

CRCE

2014-07-26 07:05:45

Hello i'm new here so please bare with me! I recently got bomes midi translator for my mac about 2 months ago and i've played around with it and made some basic keystrokes like hide/show browser, hide/show clip detail view etc. in Ableton Live 9. Now i'd like to know how to load clips and delete them on the fly from the browser into highlighted or selected parts of my session view from my browser with the use of the Xone K2 just like how Madeon does with his Xone K2, i'm wanting to load selected .als files from my browser into my current DJ template with a push of a button on the K2 and once i'm done with that i can delete the clips and then add a new set of them from the .als in the browser again. I'd also like to know how to smoothly move through my browser with the encoders on the K2, i tried making keystrokes for them specifically for my browser but they take a few seconds to catch up with songs i want to scroll through quickly in the browsing section. I am very desperate for help and i will appreciate it so much if people help me out here! I've been itching for it for months! I'm sorry if this is hard to understand but i'm very new to all of this :)

DvlsAdvct

2014-07-26 19:06:30

Hi CRCE

So there are a bunch of steps for this since Ableton is not really tailored well for improvisation like this, at least as far as I know. Since I'm not an expert in Ableton I'd encourage anyone in our community to provide any further insight, just in case I'm flat out wrong.

So, as far as I know, to load any clip from your browser you just select it and hit enter. This will create a new track.

However, if you wish to put your track in a specific place you should be able to set up a set of translators which replicate Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V (Cmd for Ctrl if you're on a Mac). This is pretty easy, though the layout is where everything gets interesting, based on how you want it to work. I don't know Madeon's set up, so I can't direct you to have what he has, but we can at least develop a DJ template for Ableton rather easily.

As far as the speed of the encoder, I tested this on my Behringer MM-1 endless encoder and it worked precisely as I expected using the keystroke (see below). The incoming and outgoing messages I'm using are examples. Be sure to use the messages coming from your K2.

Code: Select all

Translator 1: Browse Up
Incoming Message: B0 30 41
Outgoing Action: Keystroke Action Up

Translator 2: Browse Down
Incoming Message: B0 30 3F
Outgoing Action: Keystroke Action Down

Translator 3: Copy
Incoming Message: 90 40 7F
Outgoing Action: Keystroke Action Ctrl C

Translator 4: Paste
Incoming Message: 90 41 7F
Outgoing Action: Keystroke Action Ctrl V
Does that make sense? You should test this using a combination of the controller and the mouse. Beyond that you should put thought into how you want the entire controller to work (layers especially) and how you want it to function so we can begin helping you map it.

Thanks
Jared

CRCE

2014-07-27 04:16:36

Thank you for your response friend. I have tested out the code examples you have given me and the CMD + C and CMD + V keystrokes work perfectly but still when i scroll around the browser and session view with my bottom 2 encoders they skip a few steps when scrolling through the areas and flicker around when selecting things i want. Now i'm just curious as to how i can highlight one or more clips in the browser and load them into specific selected empty clip sections in the session view with the bottom buttons of the K2 on the fly. You see i use the left encoder to go side to side between Audio Effects, Instruments, User Library and other personal folders that have files and other things in them with the left and right arrow keystrokes. I then use my right encoder to scroll up and down with the keystrokes i already have for when i'm going through lists of songs or i want to scroll through my session view to access information about my clips, their wave forms etc. For some reason i can't have both encoders focusing on the browser and the session view at the same time. I have to click on the browser and places section to focus and then i can use my encoder when i want to use it and then i have to click randomly somewhere on the session view so it can focus on scrolling with the other encoder. I know this is alot to take in but i'm still intrigued to find some answers from more people like you! Thanks

DvlsAdvct

2014-07-28 16:59:13

Hi CRCE

Can you do me a favor and please use some line breaks in your posts? It's just a little overwhelming to parse your problems within a wall of text :)

Regardless, as far as the encoder goes, can you tell me what signals it is sending? Also, can you watch the log window when you are using the knob and see if it is continually sending messages when you stop turning the knob? There may be some sort of delay coming from the K2 directly.

The problem you are seeing is related to Ableton. It does not expect you to be scrolling through both the Browser and the Session view simultaneously. To get around this you may be better off using MIDI signals to scroll through the browser instead of keystrokes. That should allow you to almost do both at the same time. I would recommend, regardless, using each independently instead of simultaneously anyway, since it will be less chaotic.

To select multiple samples and clips to load, you may want to create a modifier button that replicates the SHIFT button when you are scrolling. An interesting way to do this would be to have Shift get triggered when you press the knob down for scrolling the browser. So, what you would do is move up and down in the Browser with the knob. When you press the knob SHIFT is activated (You would use two translators, one for pressing down shift using the 90 command and one for releasing shift with the 80 command) you should be able to select multiple samples at once. Then you would navigate wit the session knob to paste the cells.

The shift translator would look like this:

Code: Select all

Translator 1: Shift Down
Incoming Message: 90 30 7F
Outgoing Message: Keystroke Down SHIFT

Translator 2: Shift Up
Incoming Message: 80 30 00
Outgoing Message: Keystroke Up SHIFT
Does that make sense?

CRCE

2014-08-16 13:27:19

I'm sorry but i am incredibly confused right now from what you've just said, i'm a MASSIVE noob to this program still and it's all still overwhelming and new to me. How do i find the log window? What kind of signals are you wanting from the K2? How do i use MIDI signals instead of keystrokes to smoothly navigate through the browser and session view without the jumping delays i get from using keystrokes (keystrokes are the problem)

And when i capture MIDI from the encoders it says 8E 0D 00 or something like that, my K2 is transmitting on MIDI Channel 15. Should it be on a different channel or something? Their just has to be so much i'm doing wrong and i'm so confused right now.

Would i be able to talk to you about this more thoroughly over skype or something else that is faster than replying on the forums?

DvlsAdvct

2014-08-16 15:53:50

My skype name is DvlsAdvct (same as the forum name)

Feel free to add me and we can set a time to discuss.