Any difference between real Midi Note and translated one?!

TomViolenz

2014-07-01 15:06:29

Hey,
I stumbled over a new problem.

The background to what I want:

I have discovered that, if I let the encoders on my Nocturn send Midi notes (this is still without MT, as I can just set this up in Automap) to Ableton Live I can trigger notes by turning the encoder. Which is not useful yet, but becomes so, if I turn on NoteRepeat for the Nocturn in Live via clyphx.
When I do this, turning the encoder higher than 0, turns the set NoteRepeat on and turning the encoder up further will increase the velocity of the repeated notes.

Now I wanted to give my Maschine the same functionality, but Maschines Controller Editor can not set the encoders to send note messages, only CCc (and some other stuff).

So I tried translating these Midi CCs into Midi Notes.

And that part works, meaning, turning the encoder will retrigger the translated note in Live.

But what doesn't work is when I turn NoteRepeat for Maschine on (like above for the Nocturn), turning the encoder still only triggers the notes while turning, but it doesn't latch on to the Note repeat.

I repeated the same with the Nocturn.
For this I set up two encoders in Autopmap: one sends a Midi Note and one a Midi CC that I let MT translate into the same Midi note as the other encoder sends already. ( The Event monitor shows when I turn this encoder it sends the same Note message as I set my translator to translate to from the other encoder)
Yet when I turn Note repeat for the Nocturn on in Live only the originally set Midi Note latches on to the NoteRepeat, while the other encoder keeps on retriggering the correct note, but doesn't latch on to the Note repeat.

So the Question is: Is there a functional difference between a "real" Midi Note and a translated one?!

Edit: Ok I tried further and it seems the earlier situation arose, because I had still selected Automap as the In port in Live. When I set this to Bomes MT Virtual Input it works.

Tried it now for Maschine and Nocturn and it works.
Sorry for the confusion (Again)

BUT: It's still not perfect. There is still an important difference between directly going from Automap into Live or going through MT (though it's the same if I just pass through the note or translate it from a cc)
And that is, while turning up the encoder raises in both cases the velocity of the retriggered notes, it does so when send from Automap directly totally smooth, while it seems to stutter while doing so when going through MT. (like it first retriggers the note coming from MT and does't just increase the velocity of the repeated notes of the NoteRepeat functionality.)

TomViolenz

2014-07-04 16:47:52

Ok, update:
I solved it. The problem was not the translation, but that I had also used the router for the same Midi ports, so that the signal was doubled.
So, no further help is needed in this regard :-)