Griffin Powermate - Grand MA2 onPC

midiator

2014-02-18 21:24:22

Hello bome pro's!

I just bought Bome Midi translator in hope to get a solution for the following problem.

On one side I have a Griffin Powermate. This device unfortunately does not give any
MIDI output to the Bome input. So I have tried the method using keystrokes (R + L)
as an input signal for Bome Midi Translator Pro. Unfortunately I don't know what rule
and output midi message to apply to receive an output signal for an endless encoder.
With the output signal I would like to control an endless encoder in Grand MA 2 onPC.
So if I turn the Griffin Powermate left, the value of the encoder in GMA 2 onPC goes down,
and if I turn the Griffin Powermate right, the value of the encoder in GMA 2 onPC goes up.
In the Grand MA 2 onPC Midi settings I unfortunately only have the option of using a note.
(e.g. C6 = CC/Note Number 72). Can anyone help?

lgk

DvlsAdvct

2014-02-20 06:11:03

Hi midiator

Outputs for endless encoders come in a few different flavors, but they are always CC messages. The most common messages are formatted like B0 30 41/3F where 41 is a clockwise turn and 3F is a counterclockwise turn, or B0 30 01/7F where 7F is a clockwise turn and 01 is a counterclockwise turn. If Grand MA2 only receives notes then I'm not sure what your options are. You can try 90 48 ( note 72) 3F and see if that turns it at all.

Let us know
Jared

midiator

2014-02-20 13:05:44

Hey Jared!

Thank you for your quick response...
I did try your version, yet the problem is that the Griffin powermate does not output any midi message.
That is why i have to take the roundabout approach with the R + L keystroke input for bome MT.
Now I am missig a rule and corresponding output midi message on how to get the R + L keystroke input
into a R + L movement midi note message (note 72 for left and note 73 for right) for the lighting desk.
Does this make any sense?

lgk

DvlsAdvct

2014-02-20 16:57:28

You shouldn't need any rules, but two separate translators that should look like:

Code: Select all

Translator 1: L for Left
Incoming Message: Keystroke Down Press L
Outgoing Message: 90 48 7F 

Translator 2: R for Right
Incoming Message: Keystroke Down Press R
Outgoing Message: 90 49 7F
That doesn't work?

midiator

2014-02-21 12:57:19

Hey Jared!

Thank you. I certainly get a response in GMA now.
I still have to change some settings in the program itself,
yet this doesn't belong to this forum. Having read the other
forum conversations I always thought that u need a translator
rule to make it work. Yet this is much better now. Thanks again...

lgk

DvlsAdvct

2014-02-21 23:14:10

No problem. Let us know if you have any other questions.

jeffjarrett

2016-07-19 06:50:15

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to use MTP to convert Griffin Powermate to cc messages to send to DFader deviltechnologies.com to be used with Logic for controlling plugin parameters.

Need a bit of help please, having trouble with DFader receiving the cc messages. thanks
Griffin.bmtp
(460 Bytes) Downloaded 248 times

florian

2016-07-21 20:44:49

looking at your project file, I can only see Note messages, not Control Change (CC) messages. Additionally, you probably need to convert relative movement to absolute control change values.
I've taken the liberty to modify your preset to
  • decrement on left turn a global variable g0
  • increment g0 on right turn
  • send a CC#7 message to the first Bome virtual port with the current value of g0
I've arbitrarily chosen CC#7. You can edit the outgoing actions to chose a different controller.
Open the first MT virtual port as MIDI INPUT in DFader.
Attached is the modified project.

Florian
Attachments
Griffin2.bmtp
(1.16 KiB) Downloaded 277 times

jeffjarrett

2016-07-21 22:23:07

Thanks Florian, can you please upload your project. I'm still a little lost in the app. I don't have much Midi experience.

florian

2016-07-21 23:25:48

sorry, I forgot to attach it. Now it is attached (see above).

1simonemancini3

2016-12-20 16:09:53

Hi all,

Nice to meet You guys, I'm pretty new in this forum.

I use Bome Midi Translator and GrandMA 2 OnPc, with Akai APC20 I can use faders and buttons, is great, the little knob on it is not working but is ok anyway, I think apc20 sends only one signal turning both senses..

About Griffin PowerMate USB, everything works well except :
when I start the software, powermate sends signal to bome but it doesn't convert immediately in note ...
I have to delete the last number in the velocity and write it again to start the converting.

Example :
switch on the computer
switch on bome midi translate software
turn the powermate clockwise and I get _______IN 0.0 Physical Keys: F14
turn the powermate anti- clockwise and I get ___IN 0.1 Key Down : F13

there is not MIDI translation

in raw MIDI message, I have 90 00 127 (for key F14) I have always, delete the number 7 and write it again to get :

IN 0.0 Physical Keys: F14
OUT 0.0 MIDI 90 00 12

now it sends signal to other software like GrandMA2 OnPc.

There is a way to skip this action, Am I wrong something ?

Thank You
Simone

florian

2016-12-28 15:40:27

Hi,
sorry for the late response!
"90 00 127" is a malformed MIDI message. When using Raw mode, the MIDI message is entered byte by byte in hexadecimal numbers, where each number has 2 digits. The maximum MIDI velocity is 127, which is "7F" in hexadecimal.

So you should just replace 127 with 7F so that it reads:
90 00 7F

And then save your project file. From now on it should always work from start.

Regards,
Florian

1simonemancini3

2017-01-06 21:02:13

Thank You so much!

Best
REgards
Simone

b52productions

2017-01-07 00:37:20

planning to run same ... apc20 with grandma2 on pc .. anyway you could help me out with this file to get me up to par?

thanks
b52productions@hotmail.com or dropbox

thanks

florian

2017-01-30 13:09:27

it's also OK to post the MIDi Translator Pro project file here in the forum (or in the new Q&A).