Can I Do This w/ the BomeBox!? Help Wanted.

kudabux

2016-11-07 23:58:40

Hey Florian / everyone!

Thanks in advance for any help you all may be able to provide me. I'm just about to order a BomeBox and I'm super excited about it! I know that it's super powerful and can do most things that people dream of in terms of live performance setup. I'm having a little trouble wrapped my mind around getting it to do what I'm hoping it can for my live hardware setup. I thought if I posted my dream setup here, maybe someone who understands the routing and functionality may be able to confirm that 'yes' / 'no', my setup can be achieved...and if possible, how I might start the process. Here it goes:

HARDWARE SYNTHS:
We have two MIDI controllers, a Roland JU-06 module, a Waldorf Streichfett module and a Korn Minilogue.
CONNECTIVITY:
We have one powered 8-Port USB hub and all the lengths and types of USB cables and DIN MIDI cables you could ask for. Pretty much a non-issue in terms of how many we might need.

WHAT I'M HOPING TO ACHIEVE:
Firstly, I'd like to have both MIDI controllers to be able to access each module at any given time. Say for example, our stage left MIDI keyboard wants to access the JU-06 for one song and the Minilogue for the next one and stage right's keyboard controller needs to access just the Streichfett for those same two songs, but later, will need access to the other modules. I can sort of understand how to start connecting the equipment, but where I start to get confused it how I would going about changing presets in different modules. For example, if stage left's MIDI controller is playing the JU-06, but needs to change preset patches in the middle of a song, how would that be achieved, or is it even possible?
Lastly, is there any conceivable way that I can map out all the connectivity to control the routing a specific way in the first song of a set, then with the strike of a button or controller parameter, change the routing of each device to default to another configuration for Song 2?

I know this is a sprawling set of questions, but I need some way of doing this on stage, without using a laptop. I was advised that the iConnectMIDI4+ could do all this...but I haven't seen and tutorials or documentation that describe how this is possible. I know the BomeBox can get me here, but I'm stuck with visualizing how to get to where I want to go.

Thank you and any insight is greatly appreciated!!

florian

2016-11-08 21:10:53

Hi,
Interesting project! All this is definitely possible with the BomeBox. You will, however, also need the mapping software MIDI Translator Pro for creating your mappings. The key to success here is that the mappings can be made in a way so that they control themselves, too.

The easiest way is to create one preset each for all the different combinations you want to achieve, e.g. one preset where your left MIDI controller 1 is set as input, and the Roland is set as MIDI output. Then the same for Waldorf, etc. At last, use a master preset ("always on") to selectively activate or deactivate presets, using buttons, keys, knobs, or similar on the MIDI controllers. Use an init preset with translations that are triggered at project start (preset change / "when current preset is activated"), where you can set a defined start-up state.

Notes:
  • you can, of course, enable multiple presets at the same time. So you can individually set the combinations for MIDI controller 1 and for MIDI controller 2.
  • because you want to selctively enable/disable MIDI routes, the MIDI Router in the BomeBox and in MT Pro should not be used (it's not configurable by way of MIDI). Rather, use catch-all translations with variables for all parameters.
  • instead of routing all MIDI messages through, you can set up the translations in the presets to selectively route some messages to one MIDI out, and other MIDI messages to another MIDI out.
  • this allows to implement arbitrary keyboard splits (even for single notes) to address different MIDI devices. E.g. the lower 12 keys to the Roland, the next 24 keys to the Waldorf, and the rest to the Minilogue.
  • of course, you can also map controllers, notes, etc. to other controllers, notes, etc.
You can and should try all this with MT Pro first, and definitely use the trial version first.

Once you're stuck creating the translations, let us know (and include the project file .bmtp you've created so far) and we'll help out!

Thanks,
Florian

CreepyPants

2016-11-15 23:36:10

"because you want to selctively enable/disable MIDI routes, the MIDI Router in the BomeBox and in MT Pro should not be used (it's not configurable by way of MIDI). Rather, use catch-all translations with variables for all parameters."
Since I'm starting a more complex routing setup, I've been creeping back on here. (Missed y'all - but once I set up my OT interface to my rompler I didn't have to even think about anything anymore)

Just for clarification, let's say I want Note and CC data from Controller1 to go to Synth2 for a Preset, where the routing will change for a different Preset/Song performance. I'd have to create two different Translators for this, yes? One for Note:Any info and the other for CC:Any

Note: I'll probably be Translating the CC data anyway, I just haven't made it that far yet.

And then in the BomeBox Router settings, just don't define anything in/out on there, yes?
And back to playing with Aliases (which still throws me for a loop for some reason)

Most likely setting up something similar to the situation for the OP in the near future.

sjcaldwell

2016-11-16 02:48:28

I set up my FCB 1010 to route certain controls (like leslie fast/slow) to my Hammond Organ or my Nord Keyboard.
I also have my Alesis midi controller set up to route to various channels using Bome box with certain controls on the controller.

I generally use Midi Channel 13 as a master channel and set up a bit map to route to different channels depending on some pre-defined controller messages on that channel. Nothing else uses channel 13 so it works good for me. I could just as easily set it up to route to different devices (and channels) if I want.

I've figured that pretty much anything is possible with Bome box if you can define the messages you want to control routing channels etc. The hard work is getting all the logic set up right and to think through your design at the beginning, If you try and make it too complex it is easy to confuse yourself into a corner.