Editing logonui.exe ?

florian

2007-01-15 10:54:49

A user asked this:

I downloaded this program for use with Michael Flenovs Hackish PC book which he recommends, only, I was trying to adjust Windows settings in the logonui.exe folder and having made changes they were taking no effect and I had loads of backup copies, does this mean that until I buy the full version I cannot actually edit any files?

Thanks
D

florian

2007-01-15 10:57:27

Hi D,

the trial version does commit edits to the actual files, that's why it also creates backup copies. You can always close the file and reopen it in Restorator to verify that your changes are still in.

HOWEVER, there are 2 pitfalls:
1) the trial version will also put text like "edited with Restorator" into version resource, dialog resource, and menus. That will not happen with the full version, of course.

2) Windows has a self-protection scheme that gets active on every reboot: it compares important system files with the original Windows file it used to be. If changed, it just reinstalls the original. So if you just change logonui.exe with Restorator, it's likely that it'll get reinstalled with the original upon next reboot.

I would think that your book would cover the details how to overcome this. In any case you'll find lots of information about Windows File Protection on the net.

Hope that helps!
Florian

PS: be sure to always keep the backup copies, especially when using the trial version!